NYC confusing bridge height signs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tallguy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. NYC left lane

NYC left lane Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Glenmont NY
    You guys are right that it does help if you run in NYC a lot. I happen to run all 5 boroughs and LI several times a week. The entire length of I278 (BQE/Gowanus Expy. and Bruckner Expy.) is passable with a 13'6" van.
    NY state posts bridge clearances about a foot lower than what it really is. Notice I said ABOUT a foot. Always approach slow if unsure. Occasionally you will see a bridge posted ACTUAL CLEARANCE. These are accurate. Avoid the tunnels and parkways and you should be fine in NYC. I do it so much i rarely even need my map anymore.
    If you have any specific question about roads or bridges I would be happy to answer them but it would take forever to list them all here. Better luck next time in the city,have fun, and be safe.

RockinChair and ltldslwmn Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ltldslwmn

ltldslwmn Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Hey, Left Lane, I've got a question for you. I ran I-278 Westbound the other night, my first time off I-95 in NYC, and I somehow surived to tell the tale, but I definitely got confused by some of those signs. Maybe you can help me out:

First, the 12'9" warning by the Grand Central Parkway exit. Do 13'6" trucks have to take the Astoria Blvd. detour or is that just for Grand Central Parkway-bound traffic?

Next, the 12'9" warning just before exit 41. Did I read it correctly? Does it actually say "all trucks over 12'9" must use exits 40 and 41"? If so, what are we supposed to do from there?

Finally, the 12'9" warning in Brooklyn where the BQE runs underneath that other road. I got over to the outside lane where I wasn't under the pass, although I looked like I could fit even in the middle lane. So, we are allowed under there?

My lesson learned in NYC Truck Driving 101: The city does not care if you're a truck driver saying you're in trouble and need help. The city does care if you're a truck driver saying you're blocking traffic on a boulevard. ;)

4. tapasman

tapasman Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Lake Mills, WI
    been there know that 1

5. tapasman

tapasman Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Lake Mills, WI
    just came thru I278 and got off, was that a mess following Atlantic, thanks for any help i try to follow local big trucks but today was 1st time on BQE & none were in front of me just straight trucks. Ya every1 has a different story about NYC bridge height i heard they were measured from the hub to the bridge, lol

puncher Thanks this.
  6. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    I too have always been told they were marked one foot lower than actual height for liability reasons ie. lawsuits etc. I had a young driver with me back in the eighties in a cabover International and they sent us to JFK to pick up, you should have seen this guy duck when we came to an overpass,lol.

7. E9Mack

E9Mack Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2010
    NJ
    NYC bases their height by measuring from the center of the hub instead of the overall ground to overpass. I do most of my work in the 5 boroughs and long island.
    The (BQE) is good for 13'6" the enitre length (ignore the exit 27 Atlantic Ave. warning) The short stretch of the BQE after the RFK bridge is the only part in all of NYC that trucks are allowed on a parkway.
    I'll make a little chart for main roads.
    GWB: 13'6" Upper Deck
    Lincoln Tunnel: 13'
    Holland Tunnel: No trucks
    Tappen Zee: 13'6"
    Brooklyn Batt. Tunnel: No trucks
    Brooklyn Bridge: No trucks
    Manhatten Bridge: 13'6" Upper
    Queens Tunnel: No trucks
    59th Street Bridge: 13' 6" Upper
    RFK: 13'6"
    Throgs Neck: 13'6"
    WhiteStone: 13'6"
    Goethals: 13'6"
    Outerbridge: 13'6" (while crossing the bridge take up both lanes)
    Verrazanno: 13'6" Upper
    Warning: If you are going into back streets be carefull when approaching bridges. Make sure are going to clear before you attempt to go under. Do not rely on police for help because they tend to send you ways that are not truck friendly. Dont rely on your GPS because it tries to take you on some rediculous routes.

Like others have said you must be aggressive when driving in the city. People will not let you into their lanes. You simply have to start moving over until they back off. EZ pass is a great time saver. Expect traffic and long delays.
    The Cross Bronx is the most misserable road in my opinion. Always traffic and very bumpy. (also ignore the no trucks in left lane sign)

If you have any questions about NY I drive there many times a week so I can help you the best I can.

RockinChair and jason_marinaro Thank this.
  8. E9Mack

E9Mack Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2010
    NJ
    RockinChair and mugurpe Thank this.
  9. bulldozerbert

bulldozerbert Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    Is that the road through Batavia?

I have taken that with my car. But I thought it has no truck signs now off of the I-90.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. onelikeseabass

onelikeseabass Light Load Member

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere in great 48
    Sorry to dredge up an old post, but what about the Astoria Blvd exit (44 I believe)? I've always taken the diversion. You're saying it's ok for a 13'6" to stay on I-278 there?

11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    No--take the go round I've seen it dine both successfully and unsuccessfully--PLUS it is official restricted--& has been none to b point of pride & REVENUE to local precinct--not sure the # but the local precint sits on the inbound service road just before Steinway and they been known to watch downstairs just 4 the $$$$

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.