O/O vs. Company Driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AnthonyP, Jul 22, 2012.

1. AnthonyP

AnthonyP Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Houston, TX
    So I was browsing around this site and a few others and seen that being an O/O makes more money compared to a company driver. I was wondering how much of a difference in salaries is it really? I know that being and O/O means you run it all yourself, just wanna know how much more does an O/O make than a compay driver? I appreciate any input given on this topic

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    AnthonyP you have to remember a O/O pays for fuel,maintaince, insurance for the truck and himself,tires, and anything else the truck needs before he/she pays themself. A Company Driver pays for their own food and a hotel/motel room once in awhile if they want a hotel/motel room. The company pays for everything the truck needs except for a CB,Sat Radio, and such.

4. AnthonyP

AnthonyP Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Yes i do understand that they have alot more costs than a company driver. But I continue to here that after all expenses, they bring more money home than a company driver? Just wanted to know is this true or do they both average about the same pay

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    In general a good o/o will take home more than a good company driver. A bad o/o will go broke, while a bad company driver will still eek out a living...

6. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Paycheck means nothing if you don't know what you're doing. Have you ever driven a truck before or have ANY knowledge of the trucking industry? Ask yourself that. The answer will tell you which direction to take. Yes, before anyone tells me, I know people have made it as an O/O without doing either, but I can show you many more who haven't.

lonelyswmtrucker Thanks this.
  7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    As a company driver you are paid by the mile. The Company itself is paid by the load. Therefore a company driver is just part of the truck. You become fixed cost. A fixed cost can be controlled therefore it will never get out of hand.

8. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    i think what everyone is trying to say is that the largest variable that is harder to measure is risk.....as an o/o any mistake issue can cost money and some times quite a bit if you as a company driver switch companies you lose a weeks pay ...as an o/o you have escrow accounts tied up transition costs and possibly base plates if you don;t have your own

as a company driver you know what you will make on every trip ...my profit could be affected dramatically by variables such as load weight, wind, traffic, or even a road hazzard that takes out a tire but with risk should come reward so maybe could make more money but some weeks sometimes not

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    lonelyswmtrucker Thanks this.
  10. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    O/O is a whole different world. You go from employee to business owner. Lots more decisions, responsiblity, and risk.
    Yes. The potential to make substantially more money is there. It is up to the O/O.

It's just like any other type of business. There are people doing great, and people losing their shirt. The one key difference in the long run is the owner making daily decisions that move them in the right direction.

11. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    The title of "owner operator" can have two meanings, either "lease operator" in which you sign on with one company and primarily haul their freight and receive their support in doing so, kind of the middle of the road if you will. Then there is the "independent owner operator". He does it all, finds his/her own freight, carries all the responsibilities of the business in every aspect, has no support from an organized company like a "lease operator". Someone entering the industry that has no interest in being a company driver might best benefit by being a "lease operator" so that you have support from a good established company. Jumping straight in as an "independent operator" would be quite a shock for anyone new to the industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.