O/W Permit Calculations

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HornRimmedRambis, May 21, 2020.

1. HornRimmedRambis

HornRimmedRambis Bobtail Member

May 21, 2020
    Hi y'all,

Just wondering - do you have a system for quickly calculating the cost of O/W permits? The company I work for is starting to haul heavier and heavier loads, so the regulations are going to get more complicated and our blanket calculations aren't going to work as well going forward.

Is there a plug in and go Excel sheet or anything you use? If so, how did you build it out? We're pretty skeptical of online services that claim they can calculate that stuff for you. We'd like to have a system to expedite the process to streamline bidding. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    For the most part its just kinda something you know right off hand. If your speaking just Overweight loads then you gotta know what states charge per ton mile..... Im sure maybe someone has a system they use to quickly determine permit costs....

4. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Of course Im just speaking of estimated costs when you see a load and its an OD load and quickly need to figure the costs out..... But generally speaking if the margin is that small and the costs of permits determines whether I take a load or not then I generally wouldn't take it anyways......

HoneyBadger67 and Coffey Thank this.
  5. HornRimmedRambis

May 21, 2020
    Yeah, this is something my boss is trying to get together since we're newer to the super OW/OD loads. We've got a trailer that can max out at 60,000#, but are looking to get into heavier stuff. Right now, with rates being what they are, the margin's on permits are starting to matter more (for us, at least). Generally we're calculating $150 per state on OW loads, but we're thinking that we'll need to get more specific if we're going to keep things afloat.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  6. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    Oversize/Overweight Load Permits, Regulations & Fees By State Online That is a great site and relatively accurate. If permit calculations are getting that close then I think maybe you should rethink the rates you are working for. One thing to take into account is assuming a flat rate. For example in my world where we work everyday. 1 Mile move in Ohio might be $145 our cost and in PA a 1 mile move might be $40. But take that same machine and move it across the state of Ohio and it still costs $145. Move it across the state of PA and you're looking at $3-400.

baha, HornRimmedRambis and brianv31 Thank this.
  7. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
  8. brianv31

brianv31 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    IL I-74 mile 149
    Some states are flat, some are tiered, some are ton/mile. We use West Chester Permit for many states and usually for multi state trips and I find their estimator tool to be accurate. When I cost something, I typically figure $100/state for ones we need a trip permit. It covers the permits and some overhead. If we already have an annual that covers the load I still figure something in for it, but less.

HornRimmedRambis Thanks this.
  9. HornRimmedRambis

May 21, 2020
    That wild fluctuation is why we're looking for accurate estimates on permit costs. It's a pretty big deal, like you said, even outside of the margins, if the cost is $145 vs $40. I know that it's a total pain in the ###, and I also think the company's being a little unreasonable to expect that something like that can be built out, but hey, this is what they're asking for. I really can't imagine making a spreadsheet that can plug and go estimates for states that run per mile over however many pounds, blanket rates, etc.

We're based out of TX, but run pretty much anywhere that makes sense. We'll typically stay out of super remote areas, but sometimes bite the bullet and do it anyways.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's hard to calculate when different states charge different rates. As mentioned above.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.