Obtaining Class A CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Desmund94, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Desmund94

Desmund94 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Hello everyone. I have come up with the idea of starting up my own car hauling company. I’ve done a lot of research, but I’m mostly stuck about how to get my Class A CDL. I planned on getting a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 3 car wedge trailer to start off. I know I’ll be able to pass the written portion of the test, but my biggest issue is what kind of vehicle would I use to take the road portion? I’ve seen where I could rent a semi and use that, but I prefer not to do that if I don’t have to. I work too many hours to go to a trucking school (16 hrs 3-5 days a week, off days Th/Fr). This will be sometime next year when I put my plan into action because I’m just saving right now, but this is probably my biggest issue right now... Getting the practice and the vehicle. If anyone has any information it is greatly appreciated. Also I reside in Houston, Texas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    You can obtain a CDL -A with your Dodge and wedge trailer. You will just have an air brake restriction on your license. And if your truck is an automatic transmission you wil be restricted from driving a manual. Happens all the time

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Car hauler drivers are fighting over loads.
    Before buying a truck, check on insurance costs and everything else required for being an owner-operator.
    The cost of insurance & everything else for an owner-operator with no experience will be enough to pay cash for a nice home.
    www.OOIDA.com has lots of information about becoming an owner-operator.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    An original idea.

Jk. Good luck.. it's cut throat out here.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with cdl schools about attending part time classes on your days off.
    Some schools have this program. Takes about 8 - 10 weeks to complete.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Texas_hwy_287 and Desmund94 Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Texas_hwy_287 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You have to love it, we have a thread going on from a car hauler trying to find something else to do to survive, and now there is already another one to take his place. lol

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Lmao :D another hotshotter ready to get rich, i wonder who is giving out such bad info about this stuff??

Texas_hwy_287, x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Run a wedge at 26000you're going to have to drive for a company for a few years before your insurance won't cost $60,000

Texas_hwy_287, Desmund94 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. fuccillo111

fuccillo111 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Desmund94, if they can do it so can you. It's not like they weren't green at some point in they're careers and the vets, I'm sure, looked down at them like they do you now. Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you want, it's your money and life not theirs. You can do just as they have done it. Do your research and weigh the pros and cons. Sounds like some people are sour towards rookies as they sense a threat to potential loads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.