Od carlisle PA

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by odsilverbullet, Nov 17, 2015.

1. odsilverbullet

odsilverbullet Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Looking for old Dominion in Carlisle PA specific information, I was told they will be looking for linehaul drivers in February and I'm needing to know all the details to see if I should leave current job at McElroy...,. Looking for all information cuz I know nothing about old Dominion

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Top pay is .62. I run in their area often. Harrisburg yard handles dispatch for the northeast. I am what they call a 5 day wild bag . Meaning I stay out 5 to 6 days then go home. Avg 3000 miles a week . Sleep in hotels each night. Depends on what they hire you as , you could be home most days, every other day , or out 5 night. Every time the Fifthwheel or pintle hook clicks open or close , you get paid. Fueling is paid (not much , but adds up). Will run all over the northeast and out Midwest some, and head south some weeks. Will be some time before you get a set run. If I can answer any more questions , feel free to PM me.

4. odsilverbullet

Feb 15, 2015
    I'm only taking it if I'm home everyday, I have kids and I will not leave them behind

5. odsilverbullet

Feb 15, 2015
    I just figured daycab would be home Everyday, is that possible at od?

What is the starting pay along with everything else like vacation, insurance, holidays and what could I expect to average gross a week, do they slow down at all during the year?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    The final hiring process, after the initial interview, can take up to two weeks from corporate for final approval. Consider that before leaving your current job so you can time it correctly.

odsilverbullet Thanks this.
  7. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    All this is relative to your miles, obviously ... Starting pay is currently .58 cpm for southern miles, .59 cpm for northern miles. You should at least run 2500 average a week. You can do the math.

Insurance is free for single employees. Family packages are not complimentary. A decent average, depending on what plan you choose for a family, could be between $300-$400 a month.

We get like 7 paid holidays, including your birthday. Pay is based off your currently hourly rate, which is determined by your averaged cpm pay. Vacation is 2 weeks after 1 year of service, plus two all purpose days, and increases from there. Benefits kick in after 90 days. Holidays kick in after 90 days too, to my knowledge, but the vacation / all purpose days start after 1 year of service.

Slow times vary per terminal. If there is no freight, you can run city. That's very rare. There is always work for the most part at HAR - it's a northeast break bulk terminal so there is a good amount of freight throughout the whole year.

Runs will vary per terminal. At HAR, most guys start bagging out, but might only stay out 3 out of 5 days. Sometimes this lasts a few months. Sometimes it's only for a few weeks until you're put on wild turn (home every day). It all depends on the current amount of drivers and if they're in a hiring phase. I know guys that had to bag for 10 months. I bagged for 2.5 months. Some drivers are given turns right from the beginning. It varies. A good average at HAR, is to expect to bag out for the first 6 months, then you could probably get a night wild turn run. You could expect a night schedule run (not wild) in 6 months to 1 year - sometimes it happens sooner. Day wild turns might happen after 1-2 years. Day schedule runs (not wild ) could take 2-4+ years. HAR doesn't have day wild bags, just day wild turns. There are more night schedules than day schedules.

Keep in mind that at some terminals, drivers are bagging out for 1-2 YEARS before they can even get a wild turn schedule. At HAR, drivers seem to move up relatively quickly in seniority. Also, some other terminals have their drivers work 6 day weeks.

Clarity of terms: wild turn schedule is when you are running wild but get home (turned) at the end of every shift. Wild bag schedule is when you could be out for 4 of your 5 day work week. Even though these are both wild, they are still "schedules" in the sense that you always work the same 5 day work week, and always have the same 2 days off. You do your 34 hour reset at home, whether you're wild bag or wild turn. Schedule runs that are not wild are when you're going to the same place or meet/ turn every day.

8. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    You might wanna consider P&D or combo then.

Combo gets you home every day right from the beginning, like P&D. Combo means you're running L/H and P&D. But, you don't get seniority for linehaul since you're not a linehaul driver. You only get set starting times with combo - no set runs. Some drivers choose combo because they wanna be home right away and not have to "pay their dues" bagging out for a linehaul position. Combo also works days right from the beginning, unlike linehaul.

HAR is usually hiring for L/H and combo positions. You get more flexibility and can earn more with linehaul, if you can afford to pay your dues upfront. It's worth it in the long-term for most drivers. But, if you have to be home every day from the beginning, then choose combo.

9. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Clarity for the OP. If you run out of HAR, you are only expected to run in the northeast.

10. odsilverbullet

Feb 15, 2015
    Awesome man thanks for all that information, i havey sights set for Carlisle PA old Dominion

11. odsilverbullet

Feb 15, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.