OD Truck Driver Training Program

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by mxpx148, Oct 7, 2013.

1. mxpx148

mxpx148 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Hey everyone,

I just recently joined the forum and I am a wannabee at this point lol. I'm looking to go for my CDL training in the next few months and I am in the process of doing all of my research to find a half decent company to go with right out of school. So far Maverick and OD seem to be pretty decent companies. However, I know Maverick will hire recent grads out of ANY CDL program as long as they have a current CDL. From what I have found OD only hires out of thier own training program if you have no experience. Do any of you know where I can find info on this program? I have searched all over, including the company website, and have not been able to find any info on who to contact about the program. I have sent 2 emails to Mark Penley and not received a response. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    You would have to contact your closest odfl terminal talk to someone in human resources discuss that you currently have a cdl with no experience in regards to working as a driver there is a chance they may put you with a trainer for a few weeks to determin your skill levels and go from there the worst case scenario is you may have to work the dock for a little bit (not long) but that is way better than over the road and pays more than some companys pay there drivers.. SO in short give the terminal a call and ask them what they can do no sure where nepa pa is but you probally know what terminal is closest to you

4. mxpx148

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Thanks white wolf...just called and left a message with the person in charge of hiring/training. Hopefully I hear something back today.

5. ChadLay

ChadLay Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Please let us know. I am curious myself.

6. mxpx148

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Will do chad...I spoke to someone there yesterday. I'm going up there on Friday so I should have more info then.

7. mxpx148

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Time for an update:

I went down to talk to the manager at the local terminal today. They offered to hire me on PT nights(5:30-10) starting at $15/hr. After 30 days they would have me get my MVR and I would then have to get 25 hours of driving in the yard under my belt. After that I would be made FT @ $19.xx/hr. When they have a class available(currently 2 a month right now) they would send me down to Pittsburgh for company driver training for a week after which point I would be tested back home. If I pass and get my CDL I would then go out with a line haul driver I believe he said for a week and then 3 weeks with a local P&D driver. After training I would then be what they call a combo driver. Depending on what is they need I could run linehaul one day, P&D another or dock work. Too pay(after I believe 2 years) would be $25.xx/hr.

The he only thing I didn't like is the fact that they don't pay OT until after 60 hours, and the manager told me straight up that he only knows of one guy that has broken the 60 hr barrier in the last 3 years.

I filled out the application and went for the drug test today. Just waiting to hear back from corporate and discussing it with my fiancé to figure out what the next step is. I currently work for the DoD and make decent money but unfortunately with cut backs and the always impending furlough that has already hit this year(6 weeks at 32 hours rather than 40) I never know what the pay checks will look like a month from now. Have other family/friends that are federal employees that are now working for no pay(will get retro after the shutdown) that are trying to figure out what to do right now.

Anyway thats the update...I'll post again when I have more info.

JustNva Thanks this.
  8. mxpx148

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Also feel I have to add that everyone that I met during my few hours at the terminal was nice and seemed to be happy to be there...they all definitely seemed to have good morale.

9. cellopudding

cellopudding Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is definitely a good company to work for! Even if you decided that driving wasn't for you, dock guys at this company are treated very well. We have a few senior dock guys here and IND that drive high-end luxury cars!

10. white wolf

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Well what you make when you run linehaul will make up for any short comings in the city linehaul

11. white wolf

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    well cello you have been driving for a couple weeks I'm sure your enjoying the pay

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.