Off to Western Express for flatbed orientation....

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by superpet39, Feb 5, 2014.

1. cam9457

cam9457 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2013
    PA
    Oh and a windshield ice scrapper that extends long enough to be useful on your truck. Right now I'm stuck up by lake Ontario in over a foot of and I'd be up a creek tomorrow morning when I'm ready to roll again without it. A lot of guys like their CB radios, best to try and find one before you go because the truck stop prices tend to be kinda steep

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    I actually DID grill him today after i saw Dinomite's question! He said he "wishes he had 20 of me calling everyday", and that the "only thing that will keep you out of a truck is if you either left something out (i didnt), or if i fail the physical (i shouldnt), or if you fail the drug test (i wont- because i dont do ANYTHING)

now when you say big duffle, do you mean like a large gym bag, or the ones that are on wheels?, is there a walmart next to the hotel by any chance to go get stuff (toiletries and stuff) or should i bring all that with me before i leave?

did anyone fly out there? recruiter told me (after finding out its a 55 hour ride on greyhound) that they will reimburse up to $285 if i decide on a different route (found a 6 hour flight for $150!) any issues with getting it reimbursed? (he said i will see it on my first paycheck)

Speaking of the flight, does anyone think it would be an issue if the flight doesn't land until 11:35 pm?

I of course will ask him these things in the morning, just checking with you guys first.

4. cam9457

Dec 15, 2013
    PA
    Whatever bag you have that's large enough to hold all your stuff. I actually bring two large ym bags but it's only because I have waaaay too much crap. Space for your bags/gear won't be an issue, you'll have 5-6 2x2x2 storge compartments and whichever bunk you don't sleep in to stow your stuff. Are you going to Nashville or Nazareth for orientation? I'd just bring everything with you that you might need. As far as getting reimbursed for the flight, I've heard of some people getting their money back and others getting a hard time about it, either way count on jumping through some hoops to get it back

5. cam9457

Dec 15, 2013
    PA
    Also a notebook and pens. I write down all my load info for each load to check it against my crappy weekly paycheck

6. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Nashville, and as you guessed it- i thought 2 gym bags would be an issue.... glad to see it wont be, NOW i know I'll have enough room.... did you guys use a sleeping bag?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. cam9457

Dec 15, 2013
    PA
    Haven't been to the Nashville trerminal so not sure what you'll be able to get to around there, best to just show up with what you need. Sleeping bag isn't a bad idea, especially if your bunk heater quits but most guys just bring a sheet(twin bed size) abd blanket and pillow. Think of it space wise like sleeping in a walk in closet with some shelves and twin size bunk beds

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Use an oversize sleeping bag vs. sheets.
    Steel toed boots that cover the ankles. Slip on boots are better than laceups.
    Package of cheap work gloves; Home Depot, Lowes, has good deals on gloves.
    You should do fine at Western Express; ignore the whiners. Most whiners, whined because they didn't have a job, now they whine because they don't like having a job.

Best wishes!

bubbaray30 and superpet39 Thank this.
  9. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    If you are taking a plane. They will charge you for extra baggage, and the one you check in must be under 50 pounds. You can probably get sleeping bag and all that jazz later. Also do they have flat bed freight to your home area. Don't recall seeing many Western Express cats in No Cal.

10. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    thats going to be an issue i'll have to "deal with"... recruiter didnt sound "confident" on the question..... he DID say however that they have tons coming out of washington (thats not northern cali! lol)

I dont know how that part will work out, but when the time comes, i'll be on here asking what to do (i cant be the ONLY person that signed up to a place that didnt have a bunch of freight going through there hometown (in regards to hometime)

Oh yeah:

just bought the ticket $141 get there 2/21 at night ..... im hoping to keep the 2 gym bags under 50 pounds (southwest doesnt charge for the first 2 bags- under 50 pounds)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    RizenPhoenix and Dinomite Thank this.
  11. TranceJunkie

TranceJunkie Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Salisbury, NC

Do you know if Western Express does urine or hair test?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.