Offer from TMC today...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by McUzi, Feb 14, 2018.

1. SleepyJ77

SleepyJ77 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Wish you the best of luck pal. I remember when I started. A whole whopping 18 years ago now. You will see some crazy stuff, meet some crazy folks, make good friends and lots of memories. At least I sure did.

Puppage and McUzi Thank this.
  2. UnixNerd

UnixNerd Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Like SleepyJ77, I've also loaded with a lot of TMC drivers. They tend to be courteous, professional, and helpful to fellow drivers. You'll learn proper load securement there and get a lot of tips. Don't step on the grass when you get to orientation.

McUzi Thanks this.
  3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks, UnixNerd. I've read in multiple places about not stepping on the grass during orientation as well as paying attention to detail being important at TMC. It's kind of nice to know that culture exists, I'm the guy yelling at my kids when they cross across someone's lawn on Halloween.

UnixNerd Thanks this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Well, had a death in the family between the time I was going to finalize my training date with my recruiter. I'm hoping that when I talk to her tomorrow (or Tuesday if they are observing the holiday) that I'll have 3/5 available to start as that will put me right at a 2 week notice for my current employer.

I'm on the edge of my seat to start, I'm hoping that the truck they give me after the 5 weeks with my trainer will be a 13 speed, but the recruiter couldn't tell me the probability of what I might get.

5. Keith Lindsay

Keith Lindsay Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Loda, IL
    Not positive, but I think all their trucks are 13 spd....

McUzi Thanks this.
  6. SleepyJ77

Jan 18, 2018
    Sorry to hear about the loss. Stay strong and keep a great attitude. Good luck with TMC and the journey that you're about to start. Remember one thing coming from a driver with a little time behind the wheel. This is my motto anyhow. This is not a job, it's a career and a lifestyle. If you truly enjoy it, it can and will be rewarding in its own way. I have a good friend that tells me all the time that I'm a #### Trucker!! Lol, nothing like running down the big road at 2am with your ride nice n clean and the music up. Just be sure to look up at the stars and smile. Again, sorry for the loss and wish you the best my friend. Safe travels and let me know own how it goes.

McUzi Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks SleepyJ. I've wanted to get into trucking for many years, and coming across TMC seems to check all the boxes for me with regard to late model trucks, home time and helping me get my CDL. Perfect storm that I can't say "no" to anymore with regard to chasing my dreams. I'm blessed that my wife supports me in this as well, she understands that this will be a sacrifice to our family with 3 kids under 6.

One thing I will say is that Dawn has been great through the whole process. Answers the phone whenever I call and is quick to follow up on e-mails with me. I was quite surprised how quickly she got an approval from committee for me.

8. SleepyJ77

Jan 18, 2018
    Well your off to a great start if the wife supports ya. No joke there pal. We have 2 girls at 15 and 10 years of age now. I was in your shoes and it can be tough but you have to to what's best for you and the family. You will miss time and all that stuff that comes with it. I've been off the road running locally now for 4 years next month and it's eating me up to get back out on the big road,but I have also grown to enjoy being home with the girls before they move on. As far as TMC, if they tell ya one thing and do another,don't be surprised. Most outfits will sugar coat crap and tell ya what ya wanna hear. Best outfit I was ever with was ATS Specialized. Great folks, great opportunities. When I left them,I was hauling wind blades. That was way cool and fun. I would have steered ya to them with know folks that have been there for almost 20 years now
    Not saying anything bad on where your going, ATS gave me more variety on loads and I enjoyed some of the big stuff. You don't live down here near the Panhandle do ya?

McUzi Thanks this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    No, I live about 30 miles to the southwest of Boston. How a native born Floridian like myself came to be up here with my wife is a different story.

10. SleepyJ77

Jan 18, 2018
    Lol, way up there in the cold country. I was born here,moved and raised in Ohio. Now I'm back down here until the little one is done with school. Wish you and the family the best pal. I or we have been there so it can be done.

McUzi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.