Offer / Road test

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by WarVet, Jun 3, 2013.

1. WarVet

WarVet Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2013
    West Michigan
    I've been offered a position with Conway Freight and I'm pretty excited about it. Of course after I sign the paperwork in the morning I will immediately jump into a truck for a road test. From what I am told, I will be working with a 7 speed trans. I've only driven some eaton 10 speed trucks. Anybody have some tips/warnings about the 7 speed such as speed/rpm shift ranges? What is the typical "turning gear" for a 7? I will be double clutchin it like a nooob. I havent learned to float and no idea if they even allow it anyway. Also, with the doubles I hear that the "offtracking" is not as pronounced as a regular 53'. Is that true? Tips??

Im pretty sure I will be fine and just over thinking this but I want to do well tomorrow. Thanks for any advice. :biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you. I am sure you'll do just fine.

WarVet Thanks this.
  4. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Depends on the make sometimes. I've been in some six-speeds where the truck doesn't even get comfortable with shifts until 2000 or 2250 rpms.

WarVet Thanks this.
  5. perufb

perufb Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Chazy,NY
    I just went through the same thing a couple months a go. I shift the seven speeds about 1600 or so its not really any different than any other transmission, the only thing I had a hard time with was 4th and 5th gear. I also have a hard time floating in the Sterlings for what ever reason, so I usually double clutch. You might take your road test in a Freightliner if they have one when you take your road test. Pulling doubles is not that bad once you get going and make a few turns you'll see, they dont offtrack as bad as a 53'. I was nervous as all hell when I took my road test, the good thing was I had a really awesome guy give me mine so he made me feel real comfortable. just be calm and take your time, I think I was there an hour and a half by the time I did a pre-trip, hooked, did the road test, dropped the set, and everything else. From what I can see its a really good job once you get a full time spot and get off the flex board. Good Luck!!

WarVet Thanks this.
  6. WarVet

WarVet Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2013
    West Michigan
    Thanks guys. Went perfectly today. Movin' on in the process. :biggrin_25519:

7. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    good luck. and better luck on the extra board. and if you are not a toyota forklift expert, you will be :)

WarVet Thanks this.
  8. WarVet

WarVet Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2013
    West Michigan
    Haha thanks. Im prepared to bust my but on the docks a while.

MORE good news!!! They offered me a position at two different terminals. A larger terminal that is a bit of a drive but not that horrible and then a smaller terminal that is really close to home. Anybody have any input on the pros and cons of each situation???

9. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Light Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Bridgeville, DE
    Just a guess here, but perhaps more opportunities at a larger yard for advancement. People will have to die off where Im hiring on at, but I knew that going in. The big plus for me is it's four miles from my house. Good luck in the process...I'm in the same boat.

10. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    it depends. find out where you will be on the extra board at each terminal. and find out, if you can the class of each center. 1 -6 is what we use. 1 pushes the most freight, 6 is the smallest.Is the bigger terminal an FAC/reship facility? Usually more opportunites for work, usually dock time. Most LTLS ae trying to cut the big money runs and stuff it on the trains or purchase trailers..also look at how many crst,werner, england trailers are parked in the yards. just giving you a real perspective from a 2 yr employee, not a 15 yr employee, who has a set bid. I transferred out of a terminal in NY becauase I was only getting 20 hrs a week, clear across the country. good luck from one war dog to another..yutt

11. WarVet

WarVet Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2013
    West Michigan
    Yut Yut!
    What I know at this point is they have twice as many drivers at the larger terminal. They are hiring two drivers and i am the first of two. At the smaller terminal I will be the low man. It is about forty minute drive to large one and ten minute drive to small one. I drive a 2010 gasoline F150 5.4 so it counts lol. It's a lot to consider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.