OH Bound - April 15

Discussion in 'Millis' started by rarudi, Feb 11, 2013.

1. rarudi

rarudi Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Annville PA
    Well that was quick. Applied Saturday, heard from April Monday AM, emailed Schedule Cs Monday noon, got accepted Monday 3pm. I'm all set up for April 15 in Ohio (Ummm, is that Trenton or Hamilton? - I've seen it called both on here, but Google maps puts it in Hamilton.)

Scheduled for April 15 so I can wind down what's left of my economically-decimated biz, close up the office, and get prepped in time to start. I'm psyched to switch gears in life and bust a hump (or two) instead of staring at a computer monitor all day long. Read through PA's online CDL manual once this past weekend (reminds me of the thrilling materials I had to study before I got my pilot's license); will schedule my physical and permit exam mid-March or so.

A couple preliminary Qs I do have - if anyone can answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Anyone from PA? If so, looks to me like I have to have my physical before I apply for the CDL permit - correct? Any other pre-permit tips you might have?

2. Looks like the OH training facility is about an 8 hour drive from my home. Is it unreasonable to think I could drive home on the weekends during the actual school portion?

3. I'm pretty anal about getting to the doctor & dentist for checkups & such every 3 months. How do y'all handle that stuff once you're out on your own? Just curious.

4. My cell service is with T-Mobile, and I've always been way disappointed with their coverage when I've traveled around PA, which has been quite a bit over the last 10 years. Who do you use?

Anything else you want to make me think about - even of the 'let's mess with the newbie' variety - would be cool. Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to becoming a Millis driver. You guys on here really helped me make up my mind. And to think I was leaning toward Swift before...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    Answer to 2. If you feel up for driving and are sure you won't be late on monday, and don't mind the expense of the gas, u can drive home.
    3. Make your appts. send in your hometime, and there is a comment section just write in there doc or dentist appt.
    4. Verizon, you are gonna hate T-Mobile going OTR.

rarudi Thanks this.
  4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I grew up in Hamilton, or as I call it Hamiltucky. Not a bad town. I think they still do chicken on Wednesday. Bill will tell you all about it in class.

5. g22mac

g22mac Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    clinton, wi
    congrats. i start in richfield, wi on april 8 so we will be kind of classmates just at different schools. remember to wave as you go by.

6. ohiobound

ohiobound Light Load Member

Congrats!!! I start at the Burleson location march 25th! Enjoy the change!

7. WiTrucker29

WiTrucker29 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Congrats! I also start training soon. March 11 at Richfield.

8. rarudi

rarudi Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Annville PA
    Don't know why, but I assumed the classes run Mon-Fri. Looking at the paperwork it says Mon-Sat. Yeah, screw driving home - not worth the effort. Guess I'll just have to bring a guitar or something to entertain myself on Sundays.

9. g22mac

g22mac Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    clinton, wi
    nascar will be starting this month and i am sure there is a tv in the motel. if not go to the terminal and watch the race and get advice from the drivers who might be there. i am only going to be a little over an hour from home and am thinking of staying instead of paying for gas and worrying about being late. but i do not have a wife to go home to or kids to see.

10. rarudi

rarudi Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Annville PA
    Nascar? I get the feeling I won't be wanting to spend any free time watching other guys drive. :D

I was more thinking along the lines of easing the gf into me being away, and avoiding having to get the neighbor to cut the grass right off the bat. Guess I'll just get her a dog instead. And a goat...

11. g22mac

g22mac Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    clinton, wi
    goats make good pets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.