Ohio DOT Heads up

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by al_huryn, May 15, 2019.

1. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    I still wear uniform but not a cap. I honestly don’t think it’s a good idea for me to dress like policeman when driving around Los Angeles at night. But that’s just me.

jamespmack and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, me personally, i always wore some sort of uniform type of work clothing, and a baseball cap in bad weather. or at least a uniform/work shirt, and clean jeans

wore out, jamespmack and TankerP Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    They still do driver, you just truck in the wrong place. lol
    If a truck just flies on by one here, he will be remembered and his time will not be long.
    All of us carry some parts and some tools, by the time 3 or 4 stop someone usually has what a guy needs to get patched up.

We have one little place sort of like a truckstop, we use it for one anyway just north of town. A guy from outside was in there on a sunday and had a bottom radiator hose go bad on him. I had stopped to get my book ready for the scales a so he walked over and ask if there was any place possible to get one on a sunday, and a way to get there from here.

I told him probably and got one out from under the bunk for him, he ask what the chances were that he could have found another trucker that had a radiator hose in his truck. lol

Pretty good around here. lol
    I carry a spare alternator and loan it out probably once a year, never needed it myself (knock on wood) but I keep getting a new one every year or so. lol
    We run vhf radios and if two trucks are on the tops of mountains, it is not hard to talk 50 miles or more, I have several times handed a part off to another truck to pass along to someone that was down and needing it.
    The only time I have been down in my truck, I blew a turbo 62 miles out of prudhoe, I idled that last 62 miles and delivered my load, but there was no turbo or air to air available in prudhoe to fit my truck. Another trucker sent me a used turbo up to get me back home, I just cleaned the air to air out the best I could and hoped for the best and ordered both when I got back.

Oxbow, jamespmack and Truckermania Thank this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    So you cheat on your log book?

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not run my log truck up the road. lol

jamespmack and adayrider Thank this.
  7. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Nobody has time to stop with ELD's.

tucker, jamespmack and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  8. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Bear in the grass at the 144.
    Facing east.. can go either way.
    You won't see him til it's too late.

Jammer did his duty.
    Couldn't broadcast on XM.
    Nobody heard me.

jamespmack and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. The Gels

The Gels Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Doesn't Averitt wear uniforms?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What about companies that had a policy of instant termination if you were spotted driving past someone broke down on the side of the road without stopping?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It isn't so much cheating as just doing them, it is 480 miles since your last stop so, time to catch up.
    We also have to stop and clean off the tail lights and license plate before hitting the scales.
    So we have to stop anyway.

If a guy wants to truck here, he will make time eld or not. Plenty of the guys are running eld here, just like anywhere else.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.