Oil and mpg

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Apr 26, 2017.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have been running Mobil oil for a while, but got Rotella the last time, since this new shop did not have my usual oil. They also pretty much insisted on adding a gallon of Lucas, so I can try it out.
    Well, my last run with 43k turned out to be at 6.92 mpg on 900 miles, last week I did this run with 6.4mpg. I manually calculate my mpg every time I fill up and I never got 6.9 before with that much weight going over KY and TN mountains.
    So, did the stars and wind align just right, or can oil and Lucas really make that much difference? I always thought it's just a gimmick.
    I did notice that my N14 is quieter now

Road Killer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Never been a fan of rotella, but any products Lucas produces, especially the oil stabilizer, are outstanding and well worth the cost. In my experience and IMHO.

Road Killer and bzinger Thank this.
  4. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

Road Killer Thanks this.
  5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Lol I just put lucas in a couple of weeks ago. I also noticed an improvement in the mileage. Need more time to really determine. Luckily I have the same run for a few more months

Road Killer, bzinger and Mudguppy Thank this.
  6. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Every time I get my truck serviced the mileage goes up. Could it be the new fuel filters ? Could it be the fuel injector cleaner I prime the new filters with ? Could it be the brand new oil ?

Road Killer and spyder7723 Thank this.
  7. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Definitely maybe! LOL

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I used to throw a bottle of lucas in my old 360 gasser. Never noticed any difference. A little increase in oil pressure and lifters were a little quieter. I got the same result running 15w-40 in it instead of 10w-30 lol.

Road Killer and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. Wdragracer

Wdragracer Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017

10. Wdragracer

Wdragracer Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I average 9.2 to 9.5 But my truck is governed at 60. Been trying to get to 9.9 for a 6 cent fuel bonus, maybe I should try the lucas.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  11. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Buy new fuel filters and a gallon of the fuel injector cleaner. Fill up the new filters with the injector cleaner then replace them on your truck and I guarantee your mileage will go way up. Enough to get you to 9.9 that I don't know but I guarantee your mileage will go up. What type of setup do you have ? Mileage into the 9's is very very very good.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.