oil bypass centrifuge spinner 2 installation tutorial dd13 dd15

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by crucar1800, Feb 23, 2020.

1. crucar1800

crucar1800 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes. Air line required. Spinner is effective. I recommend it. It has worked fine. D60 should not be that much different.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dok2304

Dok2304 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2013
    I change my oil every 12k, if I would install the bypass filter, I would go an extra mile.
    No, just I see lots of people have it, here on thetruckersreport and none of them offered any
    pictures how they installed it. My Mecanic didn’t like the idea, didn’t recommend any extra filtration, because you’re tapping into the engine oil pressure needed to lubricate upper parts of the engine. All the engines already comes with 2 oil filters now, when you add another one, that’s less pressure for the oil to go where it needs to go.
    But I see lots of people here have spinner II, and swear by it.

4. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    Your mechanic is honest. There is variation to oil pressure. When driving off highway with clutch engaged pressure drops to 15 psi. When starting the truck cold psi is 67 psi. When oil is up to temperature of around 140 pressure reduces to 55 psi.

To your point, pressure never drops less than 15 psi that is 15 psi per square inch which translates to 15 psi around the oil trajectory inside the engine. In conclusion, there is enough and sufficient oil delivery.

Also, oil pressure sensor is located on the driver side towards the front and the spinner is horizontally opposite to it's location, so that is another indication that the 15 psi also applied to the oil filter location. Again, 15 psi is strong pressure.

The oil cartridge on this type of engine. Seems with less soot or carbon when extracted during an oil change.

This is my very own opinion, but I believe that just oil is not enough. The bulk oil we purchase is loaded with detergents and chemicals making it thinner in consistency. There is no water in it because oil and water does not bond together, but there are solvents that will bond. Therefore, I use Chevron because it has quality. I have witnessed how a Cummins which has the tendency to burn oil will slow down it's oil burning with Chevron. I use Lucas, in a moderate manner, because the container reads 100 percent petroleum.

Others may say Lucas is bad because it blocks the oil pipes...etc. In a moderate manner will not and that is one gallon to half a gallon.

I also have an oil sample analysis with the spinner for 14k miles of hard driving. It reads that the engine is doing fine with a slight or minimal reduction in some metals. I could post it here if you would like to take a look, but has to be next week.

5. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    ****update**** 08/02/2021
    Oil spinner stop spinning. Reasons unknown, but it is suspected that the air selenoid "clutch", which is located at air tubbing connect became damaged due to oil vapors with particles saturating its area. Rather than replacing the selenoid, a dual oil filter mount was mounted instead.
    IMG_20210802_110950789_HDR~3.jpg

6. Thomasg

Thomasg Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2023
    Massachusetts
    Great post thank you. For a long time I wanted to install the spinner 2 and I am finally going to address it this spring using you great Description here … thanks again

7. Thomasg

Thomasg Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2023
    Massachusetts
    I just saw at the end of your post that you changed your aux filtration format from the Spinner2 to these dual filters. Can you please tell us what brand of filterarion are these dual ones? Are they better compared to Spinner2 and where you got them from?
    Please advise
    Thank you in advance you have been very helpful

8. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    Hi Thomas. I am now reading your post on march the sixth. You could purchase the dual base at www.amsoil.com and the filters are from NAPA heavy truck. About the spinner, please find one that spins only by oil pressure that doesn't require an air inlet. The air valve will get oil vapors buildup and clogg it eventually rendering kind of pointless because it needs to be dismounted and disassembled in order to replace the one air valve.

Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.