Oil leak on exhaust by flex pipe

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Jan 11, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I would agree with pedigree bulldog. Most likely saturated oil in the flex piping after turbo. Flex pipe looks like a low point in your exhaust after turbo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    Did it use any oil after you bob tailed it back?

Johny41 Thanks this.
  4. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, but not much, half a gallon was not smoking bad .

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...and for future reference, driving with a blown turbo is an excellent way to trash your engine. Oil passing through the turbo will pass into the intake and exhaust, eventually draining your oil pan. Engines don't run long starved for oil. The other problem is the oil that makes its way into the intake is a fuel source, bypassing any governors or other rev limiters on the engine. A diesel isn't like a gas motor...there is no butterfly valve on the intake. It sucks in as much air as it can get every intake stroke. The throttle ONLY controls the fuel delivery. If the fuel is already present in the intake charge, your looking at a runaway engine...only way to stop it is to have it in gear and hope your clutch and brakes are strong enough to stop it, or cut the rubber hose between the intake manifold and air cooler and stick something in there to block the air from getting in.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Does your truck normally burn this much oil?

7. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    No, I did one oil change since I purchased the truck, after 30,000 miles, without adding any oil.

8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i would bet more on it being fuel than oil very unlikely for the engine to put out this much oil and you do not have any dpf faults or problems even when its new i would think that when you replace everythign probably gasket not sitting good and put out some fuel.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.