Oil pressure on Volvo D12 Engine

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by babby, Jul 10, 2013.

1. babby

babby Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2013
    I am having trouble with oil pressure gauge, it shows that i have low oil pressure and then the engine shuts off. Even in ignition the oil pressure gauge stays in 30.
    While i am driving it goes up and down, and it gives me a warning, then i have to stop the engine. Does anybody know if this is a gauge issue or oil pressure sensor.
    Please advise
    Thank You

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    If its makin truck shut off and oil full its ur sensor

flood Thanks this.
  4. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    The only way to know for sure is to put a manual oil pressure gauge on the engine. That will give you an exact reading and you can start trouble shooting from there. You can have brand new oil to the full mark and have no oil pressure. There are lots of things that can cause low oil pressure, but by the erratic reading you describe it sounds like an electrical problem with gauge or sending unit.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    scottied67, flood and MZdanowicz Thank this.
  5. babby

babby Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2013
    ok so what I did today I disconnect the oil pressure sensor and truck I running ok so is just a bypass for till I go to a dealer shop

now im sure that the sensor is going bed so if anybody have this problem low oil pressure warning signal and computer shuts off the engine make sure

that engine sound good and you have oil in it and take the cable off the sensor you ok till you get to the right place to change the sensor

6. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi babby! I have the same issue with my Volvo VN truck. Oil warning comes on for me when going up hill or when the engine is cool. Recently it's very hard to make it uphill for me... Last night I got pulled over by a cop, bc he though I was stopped in the middle of the roadway (I was climbing ~4mph uphill with 40k lbs of load). If a try to rev the engine just a little bit it shuts it off. Did you get your warning in similar conditions like me? Did you solve the issue by replacing the sensor finally? And for the most, please let me know where is the sensor located. I want to try disconecting it myself.

7. Lionel

Lionel Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm have the same issue with my Volvo, where is this plug/cable located? Please reply thanks.

8. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Old thread, but new situation fresh in my memory as of this morning...

Volvo V12 Oil Pressure Sensor issues. I am running a guy's Volvo dump truck temporarily for a couple weeks. I know exactly NOTHING about a Volvo...I've stuck to domestics for 34 years, lol.

I knew enough to get it home last night when it shut down several times on me in an hour...with oil pressure gauge fluctuation and warning lights blazing.

This morning I located the sensor (on drivers side, to left of ECM, behind alternator) and removed the 1/2 turn plug which was saturated with oil. I sterilized the plug and the sensor itself, re-installed the plug and it's back to normal. Mind you, this isn't the easiest thing to access. I had to unbolt and lay the power steering reservoir over to get my paws in there to do this.

9 times out of 10, if a sensor is saturated with oil (and/or water even) the connections (or pins) in the plugs are getting wet and crossing voltage inside the plug, sending false statements to the computer (sorta...) Kind of like when your wife is talking to you as you're watching Deadliest Catch...you may be knodding YES, but really aren't listening...) That was the case with this 2002 Volvo here, and I think I saved my buddy about $230.00 for a new sensor that can be returned to the dealership now because I didn't use it. Not to mention the shop charges.

Other times, I've had similar situations with Cummins and Caterpillar engines and ECM's after pressure washing around the computer. I once did that and couldn't start the truck for a week. From then on, when I got the urge to pressure wash around the computer, I always wrapped it up with plastic of some sort to keep it from getting wet.

Just a couple of simple tips from Uncle W900A...Hope that it helps somebody.

9. Duramaxxed

Duramaxxed Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bourbonnais, IL
    There is a new design sensor to stop this. The sensors for wick oil. They have a new sensor for the 11, 12 and 13 engines. Most of the time it isn't the oil pressure sensor tho. Usually it's the injector harness filling up the engine harness. Gotta love volvo wiring harnesses. Same problems for the past 10 years.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014

That certainly makes sense to me Duramaxxed. I was eyeballing that harness that goes to the rocker box/valve cover area with the plug that was also saturated with oil and thought about removing it and sterilizing it as well...but I'm from the old school line of thinking that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...within reason of course. If something needs attention by all means, I tend to the situation at hand.

Good news is I solved the issue by cleaning the plug and sensor...truck's running fine now. Saved the fella that owns it a few hundred bucks, and everybody happy, happy happy.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Russinb

Russinb Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Where is the sensor

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.