Oil Samples

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Boy Howdey, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    I have a 2010 Cascadia with 570k on it. Coming up for an oil change. Be the first for it since I bought it a couple months ago.

Should I sample the oil first or go ahead and get it changed? And where do you get an oil sample kit?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Sample the old oil as you drain it. A sample of new oil will tell you nothing has no wear metals in it, just clean new oil. Sample it every time you change it. Get your oil to operating temp, pull the drain plug, let it drain a couple of gallons (never take the first that gushes out it will usually be contaminated and give false results), then catch your sample. The cheapest and best I have found is Thompson CAT for oil sample kits. You pay $13 and get a sample bottle with a label you fill out plus a postage paid envelope to mail the sample off to their lab. They will test oil on any engine make or gearbox, whatever you need sampled. You will need to do several samplings to get an idea of what your motor is like. One oil sample doesn't always tell a story. Sometimes you get bad samples no need to immediately panic if some numbers come back high.

Summitteer and 77fib77 Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Don't waste you time bothering with samples taken and tested by flunkies at Speedco, Petro, T/A or anywhere on the road. Send your samples to a real lab. Your local Cummins or Detroit shops (not a truck dealer freightliner, kw, pete, etc) probably have their own in house labs and sample kits. There are also companies that specialize in it I think Blackstone Labs is one Google them.

5. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Btw, what do you think about Mr "I'm gonna pound them" getting inside their heads like that? He better get to pounding soon that one seems to be haunting him lol.

6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
  7. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Definitely make a habit of sampling regularly. Just one sample is a waste of time IMO because you have no baseline to compare the results to. As was mentioned above, sample it with the engine warm and let a gallon or 2 drain out first. I always make sure to thoroughly clean around the drain plug area. I'll also fill the bottle once, dump it immediately and then re-fill it with the sample. The reasoning for that is I've been told that it will help remove any possible contaminents that may have been left in the bottle from manufacturing. Any shop I've worked for has used CAT SOS oil analysis so I'd recommend that.

9. P. Adam

P. Adam Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Houston, Tx

10. P. Adam

P. Adam Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I have used Blackstone Labs for years now, about $25 is the cost for the analysis. They have always done good for me.

double yellow Thanks this.
  11. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    diito

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.