OK experienced drivers, post your most recent rookie mistake!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PackRatTDI, Dec 13, 2013.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I pulled a steel body dump that needed the air lines crossed to move.

One time I snapped the gooseneck prop off on a Talbert lowboy. I didn't feel so bad about that one though because I fixed it myself.:D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Agreeing to take a load to DC instead of grabbing the one to NY/Long Island.

Should have stuck with the devil I know.
    DC doesn't access major highways so it took 30 minutes to go 7 miles.
    Then I hit the beltway, and 95 North was bad.
    Tried to ditch for a back route and ended up in Mall traffic.
    Oddly enough the only thing that worked was gunning straight into Baltimore on a local road and picking up 83.
    I had a B-truck so I didn't have to worry about attracting attention on side streets.

Ended up being a 15 hour day on a day I got paid mileage instead of hourly.
    Not counting the fact that the B-truck needed to be picked up & dropped off at our sister company, that was 30 minutes farther from my house.

(Oh and on the 15 hour thing, I cold have stopped by my house with the truck inside of 14 hours, but then I'd have to come in, unpaid, on Christmas eve just to get my car back. Since I spent 3 hours in traffic moving under 30mph, I could easily shave off that hour on a paper log)

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Pulled another one yesterday. Was on the Baltimore beltway and it was still light out enough not to need headlights.. Called my mom and gossiped with her for a while. Hung up and thought it seemed awfully dark. Them it dawned on me that my lights were off and only my daytime running lights led the way. During the call the sun went down on me! Quickly switched my lights on.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Snapped a gooseneck off....yikes, that's a good one too.

Reading the latest posts reminded me of a couple more I did...not recently but still did them.

First trip with an RGN I didn't really know how to use it...just kinda figuring out as I went. Didn't put the center lock pin in and didn't put the big plates in place either. I told the guys pull the truck out but stand back this could fall. It did. Man that was dumb.

First trip into PA I exited I-81 south at the flashing sign that said "ALL SCRANTON TRAFFIC EXIT HERE" or some such description. Boy that was a mistake. Took me into downtown Scranton historical district with a 53 double drop grossing 80,000. Am I the only one that thinks that sign needs to be worded differently?

MACK E-6 and SheepDog Thank this.
  6. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    That's how I felt after I sheered off a trailer door. Was parked in a downhill dock full of snow. Was worried about being stuck in there so gave it a little extra to get out, but forgot the nice yellow pole on the pass side. Boom! Knew right away. Makes you pretty sick to walk back to find the trailer door laying there on the ground.

joseph1135 and SheepDog Thank this.
  7. full speed

full speed Heavy Load Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Los angeles CA.
    I was about to back into our client's driveway so I can deliver first thing in the the morning.

So as I went to set up my back, I swung around accros the road, and in to the dirt on the other side.

As I stuck it in reverse, I noticed the wheels started to spin leaving me stuck, blocking the entire road.
    As traffic began to mount and patients growing slim.
    I was finally able to get enough rocking for tires to grab.

I then pulled forward enough to get enough momentum to reback out on the road and into the clients driveway.

I could imagine what all those people were probably thinking and thank God I was able to get un stuck.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That must have been something to watch.

I have to do that pretty frequently.

9. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I had a client bark orders at me. I set my brakes. Your inches away from my door frame. I jumped out, I know that. Until you have something useful to say, please shut up. Inches count in more than sex. Don't want to scrape my trailer. He shut up. Midland walkie talkies work great. A spotter works better. I'm good, but I'm not stupid. Use help when it's there! These are long trucks!

10. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have two rookie mistakes that seem to be cyclical. :(

Airlines/pigtail and lockouts. When I was driving the Classic I did the lockout trick on my first run with it. I was on a tight schedule and didnt have time to play. Bought a hammer and flat tipped screwdriver. Two swings and the lock was busted loose in the passenger door. Then twice, in one week! I left the lines connected breaking the tractor protection valve.

I have since developed a pattern. Spare under the hood, spare in my pocket. So what did I do most recently... locked my pocket spare in the truck in my dirty jeans, used the underhood spare to get in the truck and THEN didnt put it right back. 6 hours later... locked out again. Someone please shoot me.

Hammer166, j3411 and "Hang - Man" Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh geez. Sorry to hear that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.