OK, this is unreal

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by millionmilejourney, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Kit76

Kit76 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    West Lafayette, IN
    The most important deciding factors you have not shared with us. You are an idiot if you use popular vote to choose a company. Why? Because what's important to the majority may not be important to you.

Prioritize what counts, and list in order of importance. This is important because it will help connect you to the best fit company for you, as well as keep you sane when that company drives you crazy. Because it WILL happen. No company is percect. It's simply a matter of who has what matters to you.

Factors to consider:
    Safety
    Maintenance
    Truck conditions - smoking or non
    Pet policy
    Rider policy
    E-log vs paper
    Detention pay
    Layover pay
    Breakdown pay
    Guaranteed salary or miles
    GPS included in Qualcomm
    Tolls
    Prepass
    Truck wash reimbursement
    Holidays/vacation time
    Hometime
    Payroll record
    Routes available to run
    Forced dispatch
    Pay period frequency
    Reimbursement speed

Etc. Etc.

This is not a decision to be made lightly. Put some real thought into this, as what you put into your career is what you'll get out of it. As a new driver you need to be ready to commit to a company for a MINIMUM of 6 months. 2 years if you want your choice of company afterward.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. millionmilejourney

millionmilejourney Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2013
    East Carolina
    you are correct, i am somewhat making light of a serious decision, and obviously i am only going to choose the right company for me, but I do value the simple "which company would you drive your first mile from" opinions of some experienced truckers. I see my first decision with a trucking company as experience, which i need to have. My dad and uncle both retired from estes and after i get some experience will probally give that a shot because it is local. All your considering factors are very important, but i getting the "gazillion mile" responses from most recruiters, i was just hoping to get "real world" suggestions. Please take no offense. Anyway I have a couple good responses from this so far, ie. called TMC a little earlier, saw a couple of those petes riding around today...good looking truck, would not have called them if it were not for a suggestion on this board.
    idiot...maybe that could be my breaker breaker 10forty thing a madohicky...

4. millionmilejourney

Jul 23, 2013
    East Carolina
    conway, thanks will look them up, trust me they will be awake...
    oh yeah...east carolina

5. millionmilejourney

Jul 23, 2013
    East Carolina
    not real sure, studentdriverplacememt.com and they are one of the many that called.
    along with deboer, and d&t, but these co's are pretty far away from me, kinda looking for some orientations a little closer, just incase.... thats a long bus ride

6. millionmilejourney

Jul 23, 2013
    East Carolina
    awesome, spoke with a eppes guy, thanks

7. Kit76

Kit76 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've taken Conway loads for another company and talked with their drivers. Paper logs and you will run your ### off. Lots of doubles, not sure if that's a requirement or not.

millionmilejourney Thanks this.
  8. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

9. Kit76

Kit76 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    West Lafayette, IN
    Just remember that you'll be spending 90% of your life in this truck. 2 years is a long time, no matter how diligent your work ethic is. Recruiters will lie about miles. But some companies guarantee minimums in writing. Schneider used to be one of them. But they have their own downsides as well, which is why you need to know what matters to you.

In the winter, do you want the option to stay put if you feel the roads are too icy? If so, check out a company's policy now, not when you're in your first blizzard.

Just......don't be so anxious to get behind the wheel that you jump at the first shiny opportunity. Check it out tboroughly and make sure it's a good fit, even if it's only for 2 years.

10. millionmilejourney

Jul 23, 2013
    East Carolina
    uhh...ok, see thats why im here...thanks for that...i dont mean to be nieve, but would they...nevermind...again thanks

11. millionmilejourney

Jul 23, 2013
    East Carolina
    ok, how about averitt, have not got a pre-hire, but was emailed some contact info...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.