Old Ancient Truck Stop in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Odin1964, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Some urban locales just ain't for the faint of heart

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. that doesn't sound even like a truck stop that sounds more like the hunts market staging area...
    all the truck stops I remember where on the Jersey side your Kearney and Elizabeth.
    especially Rubes

just_sayin, x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  4. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Well, no cell phones back then, so no pictures. Where is this Hunts Point? I live in Texas, so everyplace you guys mention are only familiar to you.

5. that's the imfamous New York produce market in the Bronx..
    places where people hate having to go some refuse flat..
    just Google hunts point market the Bronx

6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    There was something like that in the Hunt's Point produce market. The only thing I miss about that place is Chinese food from Xin Ya.

7. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Hunts Point produce market is just across the GW... 895 and 278 in the Bronx. Off Halleck and Spofford.

bzinger and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Ok, I could care less about The Market, that's not the point of My Post. Yes, The Produce Market was an experience in itself, but I'm focused on finding The 3rd World Truck Stop that I spent the night in.

This place was in a Run Down Neighborhood, I Thought it was in Manhattan, it was No where near The Market & I know I had to go back to New York City to get to The Market.

This Truck Stop had No Fuel Pumps, No Garage, it was Located in a Spot of Less than 5 Acres, The Trucks came in & they all parked together in The Back Right Hand Corner of The Property. There was One Entrance in The Front & it was the Exit as well. The Building was a 2 to 4 Story Tall Brick Building with a Flight of Stairs & a Porch going up to The 1st/2nd Floor, depending on how you'd comprehend something like that. 23 hours of the day, The Building was Locked. It was Open 1 Hour of the day & never at the same time. When The Building Opened, that was the only time you could safely get out of your Truck. The entire building was like a Jail, Lots of windows covered by Steel Mesh Screens & The Store inside was a Cage. This place didn't even have bathrooms or showers. No one went in the store, you went to a window in the cage & asked the clerk for what you needed. The Parking Lot was Concrete Covered with Dirt & their were Potholes.

When you pulled in to the parking lot, the other Trucker's would get on their radios & tell you to park your rig, stay in your truck if you valued your life & not to open your door for anything & if you had to pee, find a Gatorade bottle & they'd fill you in if you had questions.

This place was like No Man's Land, Escape from New York, The Land that Time Forgot.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    expedite_it and Adieu Thank this.
  9. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Are you maybe talking about the old Jersey City truck stop? I don't know if it's still there, but that one seems to me was a two or three story brick building and really ####ty area.

rabbiporkchop, FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I have no idea, it was 29 Years Ago. Where was it?

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In ancient times railroads brought everything to large yards each side of NYC. Hunts Point is on the east end, they became a MAJOR MAJOR food market. Imagine hundreds coming from the city to buy what they need for their shops today.

Every night I would say a goodly number of trucks go there to that place.

I used to carry butter from SW baltimore Shedds, (Country Crock original tubs) full floor loads loaded down and lumped off. And later we brought everything else to that city.

The closest to your Texas area would be the south Dallas Produce Market. I don't think they are active much today. I don't deliver there anymore.

We would park in a semi circle around the fence inside Hunts. We also paid a gate toll, something like 25 dollars back in the 80's I don't even recall what it was in 2000. I do recall the differences between both eras. Night and day. But the Market recievers are still dirty as always. If you look like a tenderfoot yokel they will take you for whatever cash you got on you.

On your Judgment in the golden gates above, if you are condemned as a trucker, you don't go to hell. You get sent to Hunts.

NightWind, Adieu and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.