Old Dominion--A Newbie's Experience

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by cellopudding, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cellopudding

cellopudding Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    We run from the Indianapolis terminal to Nashville and back. So far I love it. The only thing that's getting to me right now are the hours. I think I worked a full 70 hours this week. But, that's trucking, right?

So far, I've been working with my trainer on steering techniques, and he's been showing me the finer points of shifting, including how to "float" the gears. I'm getting better at hooking up doubles.

Just got home from work, and now I'm going to bed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Using every bit of your 14 (or even close to it) on a daily line haul catches up with ya quick, as you can see! Off duty time requires 100% sleep time, basically, to maintain safe driving & endurance for successive nights. (Being line haul, I presume it's an all night run). I run a "measly" 450 mi run (225 ea way) and some nights it beats the tar outta me, but I'm 59.

After training, will they have you do Indy to Nash & back, solo? Seems like that distance has little time margin against your 11/14 clock in sunny summertime, let alone with winter coming. Heck, in winter, you may spend 11 hrs on I-65 getting from Indy to Louisville! LOL
    But it's good you have all that mountainous scenery and winding highway thru the tall southern pines on I-65... to break up the boredom! j/k:biggrin_2559:

Curious as to what training & info you're getting on steering techniques. Maybe something in there that I hadn't heard yet. Share if you can, thx.

(From your post:)
    Just got home from work, and now I'm going to bed.
    (snip) But, that's trucking, right?

Yep!! At least that's the life of a daily/nightly line haul driver!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I started at OD a month ago, and after training, they told me I had to run city or team. So I did a week of city which convince me to run team. After 2 weeks of running team, I quit.
    I'm getting to old to live to work.
    I hope it works out for you and wished it would've for me.

5. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    City P&D and Team driving isn't for everyone. I hope you found something that suits you better.

6. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I applied for line haul, but after hiring was told had to do city for awhile first.

But yea I went back to my Mercer gig driving my own truck.
    I probably been owner operator to long to convert back to company

7. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    My (trainer's) run basically requires that we leave Indy by 3 pm to arrive in NVL by 8-ish, depending on traffic. After our 30 min break, we turn around and head back, and are usually back in Indy by 2 AM. Usually. And yes, the minute I get home I hit the shower then go to bed. I don't play when it comes to getting proper sleep. There's too much on the line to not get your rest.

I'm not sure what run I will get after training. My trainer says that most of the new guys get the Chicago runs (apparently, OD's Chi terminal SUCKS). But if I need to ever run to NVL, I now that area really well! And yes, the scenery on the way down in beautiful. My wife and I are horse people, so driving through Kentucky is always a treat. It's even more of a treat for me, since I'm a big bourbon fan. In fact, I'm relaxing with a bourbon right now as I right this! Life is pretty awesome!:biggrin_255:

As far as what I'm getting as far as training, most of it involves a lot of OD-specific paperwork and computer training. I just graduated from CDL school, so my instructor is also showing me how to float gears. The steering training that I was talking about is mainly about how to steer when driving doubles.

8. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    It basically all has to do with what they need at the moment. I was told when I applied for my job that I would be applying for a "combo" driving position which involves city driving, line-haul, and dock all at one (hourly) pay rate. When I interviewed, my interviewer started throwing around line-haul mileage rates. I said, "Wait, I thought I was applying for the combo position?" to which he said, "Yes you did, but we need you more in line-haul," which is fine by me!

Teams at OD have an AWESOME gig, as far as money is concerned. I believe the mileage rate for team drivers is $.65/mile, each. That's right, EACH, not split. There are teams at this company where the drivers are both grossing $120,000/yr.:thumbup: But yeah Flightline, you work hard for that money. I don't know if I would do it, just because I enjoy sleeping in a bed in my house at night. Sounds like you have a good thing going at Mercer! I hear they treat their O/Os well.

9. crazystalin

crazystalin Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2013
    NC
    They not having trouble finding drivers. Fig they save money by training guess there. Dock guys etc. I know. I did interview and next day was told hiring internally. Hope they train them good or going to end yp like swift training.

10. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    So yeah, after having been to the Chicago terminal, I can definitely say it SUCKS.

Sorry updates have been few around here, but I've been busy as all get out! Even when freight is slow, they find ways of keeping us line-haul guys busy! Yesterday, after going to Chicago :)puke:), we bobtailed to the Wabash plant in Lafayette, IN to pick up a new 53'. Today we bobtailed all the way back from Nashville. Hopefully this is the last of the bobtailing for a little while.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  11. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Rumor is 65 per mile
    Reality is 61.5 and split the miles
    But the teams do run 6000 a week

And yes Mercer treats
    Us drivers better than family

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.