Old Dominion--A Newbie's Experience

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by cellopudding, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Wild Root

Wild Root Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    East Tennessee
    No doubt, and the dock pays as much a week as some big otr outfits. LTL runs alot of teams till you get time in, i guess some like to have own truck and more down time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    There is pros and cons to every job. I don't think it's that drivers want more down time.
    Here's a few cons that get to some about Old Dominion.
    They are little picky on who they hire and they have a long annoying hiring process.
    They are lot more strict on rules. They require you to work 60+ hours a week.
    They will fire you quick if you srew up.
    They require you to wear uniforms after so many days.

Now doubt they are top of the line when it comes to a company driver job, unless your not a workalholic.

4. Wild Root

Wild Root Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    East Tennessee
    Yeah Pretty much, hiring process is lengthy. It took me over a month for dock and that was getting hired day of interview.

5. Nightwind8830

Nightwind8830 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    I'm not lazy by any means but I want a life outside of work... the money isnt worth it if my relationship has to suffer

This brings a few more questions to mind since i've only been reading OTR driver threads and im not sure in what ways LTL differs:

What is the downtime like for OD if You are working 60+ hours a week?
    How do you accumulate 60+ hours a week is it driving and working on the dock or what?
    Are there set schedules for drivers?
    Driving OTR you're away from home for extended periods of time, with OD if you drive line haul do you usually get daily home time?(is there even a "usually" or doe it differ day to day?")
    do you get any days off?

I want what most people do, a driving job that pays well and home time weekly if possible. I know this will not happen right out of school,just like with any new career, but is it possible to get decent amounts of time at home and still make more that $32,000/yr with OD ?
    with an otr job there isnt great home time,does an ltl position give you more home time than otr?

Sorry if my questions dont have the best phrasing im just trying to get an idea of what I'd be in for as a company driver

6. Wild Root

Wild Root Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I know some drivers drive maybe morristown to nashville and back, home everyday and off 2 days. Teams run out long distances out 5 or 6 days off 2. Thats about the most ive heard. Making $60-70k a year.

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  7. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    They will run your log book for all it's got. Run 5 days and take 2 off.
    Line haul is home almost daily for 10 hours and that 10 starts leaving the terminal. If you bag out, stay out overnight, they put you in a motel for 10.
    City diving is paid by the hour, work 11-13 hours per day and no overtime pay. Home every night.
    If you live close to a terminal, that a big plus.
    They have great med. benifits for a family but will work your tail off 5 days a week.

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I have a buddy at the Las Vegas Nevada Terminal and he seems to be quite happy there. Im not much into doubles and triples but he is. To each their own.

9. Nightwind8830

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    Bottom line I'm applying once I get my cdl/rest of my endorsements. Hopefully they are hiring in a month,team driving sounds like a good deal. thanks everyone for your input:biggrin_25514:

10. Nightwind8830

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    what are the lifting requirements to work here?

11. Wild Root

Wild Root Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    East Tennessee
    Its mostly drop and hook, the dock is mostly fork lift

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.