Old Dominion Pay Raise

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by blairandgretchen, Aug 5, 2014.

1. hdcut

hdcut Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2015

Actually more common then people think. On one hand is tough to get in, on the other hand they take lots of young guys cuz its almost like the Yankees farm league. Theres a wrong way, a right way and then theres the old dominion way of doing it. Kinda like when you start driving trucks with no manual transmission experience. No bad habits to break if you never learned any in the first place

Daniel55645 and BIGreem1985 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIGreem1985

BIGreem1985 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

I just started with them on Tuesday. There is another guy with me in my training class... He's had his cdl for a few years but has really only driven on and off since he was working for a tire company. Even with 4 months experience, as long as your background and driving record is very good, I'd say you have a good shot of getting on with them.

Good luck to you!

hdcut and Daniel55645 Thank this.
  4. hdcut

hdcut Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Congrats

BIGreem1985 Thanks this.
  5. iamchrisstone

iamchrisstone Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2014
    i ran over the road and team for nearly 2 years. right now i am at ups as seasonal hauling doubles. i have all of my endorsements. i'm wanting to relocate to the virginia beach area (hampton roads) due to family being out there.

1) any opportunities out there?
    2) what are the benefits between team, otr and doubles?
    3) how do they match the 401k?
    4) is it hard to get on at OD?
    5) do i have enough experience? (ticket and accident free btw)
    6) Any other info that you can offer?

6. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    1. Google ODFL service center locations and you'll get a handy link to find the terminal nearest you. Put in your zip and off you go.

2. I assume you're interested in linehaul versus P&D. Depending on location, you could start as a wild driver. Out 5 days, home 2. Daycab tractor, they put you in a hotel for your 10. Better miles when freight is slow. Sleeper trucks are for teams. Team pay is over and above regular linehaul pay. If you want to know more about that option, user blairandgretchen used to drive team for OD and can answer any questions you have.

3. 401k match up to 6%.

4. Depends on location. Bigger terminals hire more frequently. If you're lucky, you might be near a location that is expanding and needs lots more drivers.

5. You're currently pulling doubles and have a clean MVR. No guarantees, but that should at least get you an interview at any location currently hiring.

6. Be thorough filling out the work history part of the application and give as much accurate detail as possible on dates, etc. They want ten years and they do verify, so make sure you have good contact info for your past employers. It can be a lengthy hiring process, but they will work around your schedule for interviews, road and drug tests, stuff like that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    iamchrisstone Thanks this.
  7. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    I tried to get on with them in the Pacific northwest they were not hiring they have to be one of the highest paying.

8. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I went to SDIA too. Two of my classmates hired on with OD right out of school. Being an SDIA grad is probably a plus for you. Good luck!

9. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    You still thinking about OD plankton?

10. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I work for Sodrel and I'm content there, so far. I've got a bid run out of my home town - which makes a good situation for me and my family. If that ever changes, OD will be my goal.

11. DesiTrucker

DesiTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    It amazes me that OD doesn't pay lumper fees at certain locations. Wakefern to be specific here in central jersey
    Tower road(didn't pay the bills so the driver has to unload and segregate)
    Keasbey(driver does it again)
    Davidson mill road(few months ago they stopped paying so the driver does it now)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.