old dominion recruiter

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by emsummers, May 6, 2014.

1. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I doubt anyone will hire you pulling doubles OTR team right out of school. You may need to go somewhere else for a year or more.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    I don't know if you were specifically referring to being a team OTR driver or not, but I was hired with OD as a linehaul driver right out of school with zero experience. I earned my CDL A with tank, hazmat, and doubles / triples from a private CDL school, then applied at OD and got the job. My home terminal also hires people off the street w/o a CDL and has their own training program. My home terminal is one of the larger ones in the NE. I consider myself very fortunate, and am glad I didn't have to go OTR for any experience first. The old adage of needing that 1-2 years of OTR experience is becoming less common. LTL companies in the past wouldn't have considered a student driver, but now many are hiring student drivers.

RoadHopper and knuckledragger Thank this.
  4. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Sounds like the guy wants to run with his wife OTR team.

5. RoadHopper

RoadHopper Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Modesto, California
    Yes we are a husband and wife team who wants to go out OTR. Husband has past experience but has been over 10 years so has to get a refresher course in this month and the wife is new CDL with only some heavy equipment experience over 10 years ago. We are trying to find the best fit for us and would like to find somewhere to stay for a while instead of company hop if we don't have to.

6. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Sounds like you just need to pick a company and do a year without switching. Not sure about Conway Truckload as the have gone to super singles and single screws with bogie axles. How stupid is that? They might hire rookies. Swift believe it or not might be a good idea. I worked there 15 months solo. They had their heads up their butts a lot. I tolerated them until I could go local. I have a friend that did dedicated team for a while on the Target account he made great money and didn't have to pull Swift trailers. They kept him rolling. Check with the recuiters there. IIRC he was whipping $1000+ a week.

7. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
  8. 2ndamm

2ndamm Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Od is hiring in a terminal 2hours away from my house in orlando. Since there have not been any openings in orlando if I apply in another city would I have to wait a certain amount of time to get transfered to orlando if a position was to come open or would I be elegible immediately?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.