Old Dominion Team Driving information

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by blairandgretchen, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Nickanator1988

Nickanator1988 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2022
    Yeah well your union so you have protection. Does
    Yeah well your union you're protected lol. Does ups still hire team drivers or is it all tforce now? If so do teams have priority or is it still based upon seniority? I once heard ups otr drivers/ teams make like 94-96cpm but im sure thats after 4yrs you probably start at 70-75cpm or something im guessing. I tried looking up team driver ups jobs directly hired on from ups and cant find anything that isnt under tforce or contractors like fedex uses. I know ups sold some of there division to some Canadian company not sure whar division it was. I mean i didn't really think about ups its union so it probably wouldn't be bad hired on by them but i doubt they still do pensions if anyone will ever see those pensions by the time they retire with this economy i dont see that happening with inflation you wont be able to live off retirement like back in the days..

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    We are still hiring teams, yes. TForce has nothing to do with us anymore, as we sold them to TFI.

Teams don't have "priority" so much as they have their own set schedule every week. Yes, it's still seniority-based, as all things UPS are. You bid on a run, you run the run until the next bid.

We still do pensions, and most of them are healthy. We purchased our way out of most general funds and have our own deal.

I believe you're in the vicinity with the 70-75 cpm to start. Not exactly sure. 94 cpm after four years.

Look for UPS Feeder positions. Those are truck driver jobs.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  4. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

I team drive with my wife for fedex. Thanks for the quick response. Dont think i can convince her to take less pay for 2yrs and wear those poop brown uniforms lol.. do they treat team drivers good? I will consider it.. i make 80cpm as of now but i sit around and wait for loads for 9-24hrs a lot so i dont have consistently with miles. Fedex has way too many contractors and not enough freight so its first come first serve. Well we are governed at 65 fedex policy but all the contractors pass me up going 70 with fedex so they get to the terminals before me so i get ####ty runs with solo miles basically for a team operation.. im still considering estes, old dominion, or r and l carriers. I dont see any team driver position jobs for ups in Atlanta Georgia so not sure i could get a job even if i wanted to..

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I see a job in Lawrenceville, GA. I had to go to driving jobs, and then sort by state. Apparently "feeder" just brings up a bunch of supervisor jobs.

I'm of the opinion that we still need more team drivers (especially experienced ones), though, so applying at your local hub could provide a job that isn't on the site.

I don't think it will be as much of a pay cut as you are anticipating. A lot of teams are making six figures from the start. If you don't make six figures, you will be #### close.

Our teams do not wait for long. Four hours max, because they are EXPENSIVE when they wait.

Work 4 or so days per week, make six figures. Doesn't sound so bad. I'd do it if my teaming days weren't OVER after my Yellow Freight experience. Lol

Fatboy49, Lonesome and BennysPennys Thank this.
  6. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

Your yanking my arm now your peer pressuring me lol jk. You sure your not a salesman or recruiter for ups lol.

The job sounds great . This will be a tough decision.. my wife didnt say no to wearing the uniforms completely.. is it doubles ans hazmat or all 53ft trailers?

BennysPennys and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    No hazmat. Doubles and 53s, whatever they need you for.

Not a recruiter, just someone that found their retirement job.

8. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

I know lol i was just joking. I appreciate your insider info its really helping me decide easier. Does ups teams allow pets? we bring our cat she just sleeps and cuddle whoever in the sleeper. Also do they assign teams a truck or do they do slip seating? I know solo guys usually always slip seating but teams shouldn't be that way . Do the trucks have navigation? Ups doesn't do per diem for otr drivers can i add as much as i want to my pension? If i retire early do i lose pension benefits ive accrued? Or will i still get them just have to wait till i turn 65 ,to collect? Im 33 by the way. I know if i dont work there ups isn't ginna keep adding to my pension but i mean up until i retire whatever ups put in prior i get to keep and collect when im of age?

9. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

Does ups have driver facing cameras? Do they watch for reflection in windshield on outward facing cameras and fire people? Im not worried i don't use my phone just change my music just wondering.

10. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    No pets, or I'd bring my English Mastiff.

Assigned trucks, yes.

No idea on navigation. None in daycabs.

UPS *does* do per diem for team drivers, in the form of ADDITIONAL pay. I believe it's 7 cents per mile, split. So 94 cpm becomes 97.5 with some of it being tax-free.

Add to your pension? I've heard of guys making some pension payments to get an additional year of pension credit, but generally I'd just tell a driver to invest in a Roth IRA or 401(k) or both.

As long as you reach 5 years with UPS, you will be vested in the pension, which means you will get a retirement of some amount when you reach retirement age.

I just ate dinner, so excuse my brain fog if I missed something. Lol

11. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

BennysPennys and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.