Old Dominion Team Driving information

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by blairandgretchen, Mar 19, 2016.

1. DoinTheLife

DoinTheLife Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2022
    Teams, right now average around 84 CPM for Teams and 74 CPM for solo(that's top pay for solo). Suppose to be getting another raise in Spetember. I run solo(wild turn home every day)...my daycab has a radio in it that is blutooth. I have an assigned tractor though. But, most all line haul guys have radios in them....only a few older tractors have no radio in them(2014 and older models). No microwave in team truck but they do supply a 2000 watt inverter for you. Beds are REALLY NICE! Top of the line mattress, they really want you to sleep good, and you can if you can sleep while truck is moving(I never could do that, just me). As far CB goes, they have a connection/mount for your cb but best to use your own antenna, as the factory ones are NOT good on a big/good radio(Stryker/Galaxy/Ranger/ETC). No Per Diem. I have a buddy that runs team out of GBO and cleared 120K last year and worked 5 days on, 2 off. Left on Saturdays around 0200 and was back Weds between 0600 and 1800(usually....you know how it goes, sometimes). No fridge or microwave...but all terminals have a microwave in them. As far as pets, no pet policy, from what I understand. Haven't seen any with all the teams I have ran into...unless you consider your spouse a pet. haha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nickanator1988

Nickanator1988 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2022

My spouse drives lol she is my s e x u al pet lol.. that was funny rooster i laughed hard even my wife laughed at this comment your a funny man.. yeah we need to be able to bring our cat. So rl carriers is sounding better for this reason..

DoinTheLife Thanks this.
  4. DoinTheLife

Jul 29, 2022
    yeah, glad I could give you insight. There is a very old thread about a husband wife team at R&L on here and it's still very active as well. I'm sure someone on that thread can tell you all you need to know about them, if you don't already know. Best of luck!

5. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

Ohh yeah indianamike thread ive read almost every comment replied to him several times and hes never responded i think other drivers who used to work there responded they all had good things to say about rl carriers for team driving for the most part said pay was very fair but theres no perfect company we all know this take the good with the bad and hope the good out weight the bad i suppose..

6. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022
    Yeah old dominion pay is very amazing i just wish they would allow pets.. because as long as truck has inverter i can bring my microwave and refrigerator thats not the end of the world but not being able to bring our cat isnt an option. But yeah the pay at old dominion cant be matched. But i hear rl carriers team drivers average about 450-550$ a day. So between 2200-2700$ a week gross per driver. Sure that's not the highest paying but i think it's relatively fair for this market and still considered competitive pay even if its not the top pay it still pays more then a lot of other companies by far and its not even close. So basically 110-130k + per year which seems like most top companies are paying in this range as well. I hear some guys are close to or can make up to 150k give or take obviously if they run hard probably 6 days a week Rollin restarts id imagine doing 7000-8k miles a week i can definitely see these numbers as realistic but thats not sustainable over a long period of time.

Ill give rl carriers a shot hopefully we love it like there other teams tend to.. Indiana mike said rl carriers just got an 11% raise increase there currently at i think 79-80cpm for teams. But its ltl so as people say the longer your there the better it gets in due time supposedly. Hope thats true

DoinTheLife Thanks this.
  7. DoinTheLife

Jul 29, 2022
    I know someone that was running team here and claimed right at $120K last year. Sadly this driver can't keep a team mate and has no choice but to go solo now. Either way, LTL is where the money is at! Since Central(formerly Wilson) has shut it's doors, there isn't many lower paying LTL jobs out there! Sure OD is at the top, but Estes is a very close second! Don't know much about XPO or ACT, but from what I've read R&L seems to be a great company for teams. I've only been at OD for 2 years, but most of the guys I've met, or know have been here a minimum of 7 years and yes, it's true...the longer you are at a company, the more 'benefits AND fringe benefits' you get. I got very lucky and moved intoa brand new barn, when it opened, and got out of doing the 'grind' to get a place on the list. Now I am very close to the top of the list and get all the 'fringe' stuff(assigned truck, pick on runs when we do bids, etc). Only thing is, need more time for vacation/personal time off, etc to kick in. I don't plan, AT ALL, of looking elsewhere. It's more of a do my job and see what happens the longer I'm here, kind of thing. Good luck to you and the wife!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  8. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022

Thanks appreciate your honesty and positive outlook on our decision its highly appreciated . Yeah i think everything is going to work out just fine with our decision. Ill definitely keep people updated if they care to know our experience and progress. For what we need they seem to check all the boxes. This is a temporary thing i still always trying to progress in life so im not going to truck drive for my whole life using it as a foundation out of trucking and venture into a new higher paying journey. But trucking has been great to me it isnt all good it has its downside but majority for what i have to show theres been more good then bad overall.

9. Nickanator1988

Jul 8, 2022
    Hey how have you been. I just applied to a team position for OD in conley, ga. Do you know anything about this terminal? Is it big does it have a lot of runs?

What is teams paying now?

My wife doesn't wanna drive anymore so will OD partner me with someone?

Also im just nervous about a road test because ive only driven a manual when i first went to trucking school to get my license and to take my dmv driving test over 5 yrs ago.

Will they give me like a refresher on how to drive manual or im on my own i either fail or pass right there meaning they wont train me at all to drive manual real quick?

Im a good driver just i mean its not my fault all jobs went basically all automatic i kinda wish they didn't would keep people more alert and not on they phones the whole time which is outta hand now and days.

Do teams get good miles at OD and do they lat off teams when its slow if your lower on senoirity or do teams stay relatively busy all year?

Ohh yeah how long does it take to hear back from old dominion after applying and whats the hiring processes and orientation like and how long is orientation or the whole hiring process take from start to finish?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.