Old truck stops and diners in Texas

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by cathyNYC, Dec 10, 2020.

1. cathyNYC

cathyNYC Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Thank you! Wouldn't it be so great to have an awesome trucking movie? I really hope this works out.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cathyNYC

Aug 21, 2019
    Hi everyone,

The movie is happening, as a feature, hopefully in the fall of this year, shooting in Texas.

We are currently scouting locations in Texas. This is what we've come up with so far if you want to have a look and recommend any TX locations you might know that fit the bill: Locations for ON THE RUN v2.pdf

If you prefer to contact me off this website, my email is cathgulick@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your time and interest. It's been a real ride!

- Cath

4. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Segovia truckstop just east of Junction however they just started tearing it down to get rebuilt. I don’t know what they’re going to put there yet. I’m sure someone can tell us.

cathyNYC Thanks this.
  5. cathyNYC

Aug 21, 2019
    Thank you, I'll take a look.

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  6. cathyNYC

Aug 21, 2019
    I just checked out the pictures online - this place looks amazing. What a shame if they are tearing it down.

7. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I’ve stopped in there over 30 years , I’ve ate so many Mexican plates you could fill a truck full just seem to be a place we always hung out.

8. cathyNYC

Aug 21, 2019
    Looks like the owners are calling it a "facelift". I hope you'll get your Mexican plates back soon.

bzinger and Deere hunter Thank this.
  9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That one is shut down. And the cafe in front of it, where all the racers used to meet on Saturday nights after the races, is now a taqueria.

That was Dorsett's 221, located on the southbound side of I-35 at exit 221. The parking lot was pull of potholes, but the food was delicious!

I just drove past it the other day and although the outside hadn't changed very much, it looks like some kind of a nightclub or entertainment place. I always wished I had enough money to buy it, I would have turned it into a dance hall.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    There aren't many places that haven't been remodeled since then, but you could check out the following:

It's not technically a truck stop, but Silverton Oil Co. on Hwy 86 at the eastern edge of Silverton definitely has that old look to it.

The old Rip Griffin truckstops in Tulia (I-27 exit 74) and Lubbock (Ave A just north of 50th St.)

Segovia Truck Stop in Segovia (I-10 exit 465)

Circle Bar Truck Stop in Ozona (I-10 exit 372)

Sealy Truck Stop west of Sealy (I-10 exit 716)

Valero on US 281 in Round Mountain (the truck stop itself may not have the look you're looking for, but the building just north of it definitely does).

235 Travel Center in Roscoe (I-20 exit 235)

Whiteside's in San Antonio (SW corner of Loop 410 at Southton Rd)

Kuntry Korner ("Steak & Eggs") south of Pleasanton (I-37 exit 104)

Alamo Travel Center east of San Antonio (I-10 exit 591)

Trainer Mart (I-10 exit 593).

Allsup's in Friona, Hermleigh, and Silverton.

And of course, the "diesel fried chicken" truck stop in Van Horn.

11. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Texas is chockfull of what you're looking for. But the one highway that immediately comes to mind is US 287. If you take that from around Denton and head up to Amarillo, you will come across many small towns. Hell, you can keep going past Amarillo and head farther up the Top Hat (sorry folks, it doesn't look like a pan-handle to me) to the Okie border.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.