Older CB radios

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Vampire, May 2, 2022.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    have an old Johnson that was in a pickup I bought a few years back, I use it as my portable whenever I need to get in an unfamiliar truck; wired it up to a 12v outlet plug. I'll have to check to see what model it is... but its old enough to have a channel dial with a plastic window of numbers and an indicator above.

EDIT: I got further along, and it looks just like the 123a pictured above.

Vampire Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Back in the day, all I ran were Uniden Pro520XLs. Amazing performance, and forgiving if the antenna were compromised. They were quite a bit cheaper than Cobra 19s, too.

Vampire and Night Stalker10 Thank this.
  4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I've got an old Lafayette tube radio, and some tubes, that a friend gave me. I can't remember if he said it was working when he put it up or not. I've never messed with it.

Vampire Thanks this.
  5. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I've got a buddy that has a garage full of old Johnson radios. Some are new in the box if I remember correctly!

Vampire Thanks this.
  6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    A NOS Johnson cb radio would be an incredible find.

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    there are a lot still floating around, I get you think they would be a great find but I had a few up for sale and no one bought them so they are in deep storage with the rest of my stash.

i ran across a browning two piece set at an estate sale, they wanted $700 for the pair. it sold for $300 to a collector at another sale they brought it to. If he didn’t buy it, I would have gotten it for $100 because the girl who owns the company is a good friends with my wife. At the first estate sale there was guy looking at it plugged the receiver in and it blew a fuse within a second, I warned him not to do it but he was a “tech” and wanted to make sure it worked.

speaking of estate sale finds, I just put into storage a couple Motorolas and regency’s from the car, these were at a clean out and destined to be tossed into a dumpster along with a bunch of mics and antennas, got another star duster in the box.

Vampire Thanks this.
  8. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    He's got multiples of about every model if I'm not mistaken. The collection is pretty impressive.

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I get what your saying about the NOS Johnson radios. Today not too many people would have a clue as to what a Johnson cb is. The 123A I have is pretty close to new as far as looks go.

Everyone knew when a Browning Golden Eagle radio was keyed up. Ha. I was tempted once to buy a Motorola cb on fleebay. Now the prices are too high and it's hard to find one that doesn't look worn out. Since you mention regency's (another great radio), I assume your Motorola radios are business band. I have a friend that works at a communication place that sells Motorola radios. He has a pile of them because the farmers are upgrading to the new digital radios. They would make great radios for 2 meter repeaters.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Vampire Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The cats - Motorolas are cbs, I have a bunch with few rare ones (cm455 and 555) and a couple prototypes - one is packaged in a Nautilus marine radio case with a front tilted up. As for the other Motorola stuff, I have some former cop radios before Detroit went all trunked, some early state police ones but mostly cbs is what I look for.

the two piece radio was before the eagle series, it was a very limited production early to mid 60’s radio preceding the r/s 23 models which were before the eagles. I have a mobile companion to it with the power supply, matching speaker and amp. It is called the Drake made by browning labs which is in the jeep as of this week. All tube mobile radio the size of a galaxy with external power supply and the amp does about 80.

11. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I've got one of the old Motorola mobiles that was installed in the Arkansas State Police cars back in 75 when the speed limit was reduced on the Interstates to 55 mph. They were good radios. Very clear with good modulation.

Vampire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.