OldTimer Tarp Story

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Kittyfoot, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Sometimes tarps can be ridiculously entertaining (in later years looking back anyhow).

Once upon a time I was delivering a load down in Mass. Our tarps were fitted 2 piece. I had the lead tarp spread out on the ground, ready to fold/roll it up. Nice clear, sunny day, no wind atall and I'd already done the back half.

Suddenly a gust of wind hit out of nowhere, got under my tarp and the thing went fluttering across the yard like a big bat.. just an inch or so off the ground. Of course I'm chasing it like a fool trying to step on it.

Anyhow, there was a bunch of girls from the office out having a coffe/smoke/gab session. Suddenly this big black "thing" comes skittering past them. Coffee went flying, cigs went flying and screaming women went every which way.:biggrin_2559:

Eventually a guy ran it down with his forklift just as it was heading for the gate. Dang thing travelled a good 300 yards. For several months afterward I was known as "The Batman" in that yard and the office girls didn't like me much.:biggrin_2559:

FloTheWaitress, SHC, fireba11 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crusty

Crusty <b>Just Plain Crusty</b>

May 29, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Never had to fold in THAT mich wind but I can picture it. LMAO! Got to hand it to you for chasing it. BATMAN! I love it.

4. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    That's hilarious! I'm about to take a new job and they do alot of tarping so I guess I'm going to get to have my own experience with those dreaded things!

5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Pulled a box tarp off a load in ocala FL. Just as I grabbed the end on top of the load, wind picked it up with me still holding onto it.

Got carried off the load before I knew what was happening to it. Still trying to figure out how I didn't break anything from a 13 ft fall.

6. qtip

qtip Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2012
    calgary, ab
    Use to use my bike as a ladder to get to the top of the load and fix whatever was wrong at the top, how I never fell or got injured doing that I have no clue

7. boxcarmonument

boxcarmonument Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Canton Ohio
    I was up in Idaho unloading a couple winters ago. And the winds where sustained at 45mph with 70mph gusts. I tried every side of the building and every side of my truck (to get away from the wind) After an hour of chasing and cussing that tarp was not going to get folded. It was the one time in my career I went rookie and balled my tarp up and threw a strap over it.

TURKER Thanks this.
  8. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

i was just about to mention this when i saw your post...if you are ON TOP of the load and have a hold of the tarp, and the wind grabs it, LET GO...otherwise you may end up hurt...lucky you didnt MNdriver

9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Yop, yer right. But it happens so #### quick, you can be on the ground before you realize it.

10. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

so true....

11. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Yup, jerks you off balance and your natural reaction is to grab tighter.

Actually, very seldom does the tarp come completely off all at once so by hanging on you break your own fall. Chances are if you stumble and let go you're still going off the load.... head first. :biggrin_25513:

Lots of things can go wrong for you on top of a load.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.