On the road with Millis

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Steelersjunkie, Aug 7, 2016.

1. FalconsFan21

FalconsFan21 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you Steelersjunkie, I'm sure you're right and it is/was "perfect scenario/wishful thinking" on my part... that is just a long haul with no income but I am trying to start setting aside money right now.

Steelersjunkie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Believe me I feel your pain. I had to get a personal loan to limp through. No regrets though, the payoff is awesome. If someone told me I had to go back to the constraints of my old job, I'd lose my mind. I was built for this, and it's a great life.

SHOJim and FalconsFan21 Thank this.
  4. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    You're definitely taking me back to what seems like an eternity ago, even though it's only been 6 months. I remember the first time I climbed into a truck at school, then my trainer's truck, then my own. The memories feel incredibly old. Now it's just me and my baby out on the road. All of what you'll go through is worth it to get here. And you'll have people here to encourage you, just like I did. And you can call me anytime you need help, advice, or an ear to vent in.

FalconsFan21 and SHOJim Thank this.
  5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    @Steelersjunkie
    I would like to see you get a driver referral when I start school if Millis does that?

FalconsFan21 Thanks this.
  6. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    Yes, they do that. It's not something I'll ever ask for, but you can if you want.

SHOJim and FalconsFan21 Thank this.
  7. FalconsFan21

FalconsFan21 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    I appreciate that so much! It gives a certain peace to know already before starting that I will have the encouragement and advice from someone who has recently "been there, done that" such as yourself! I would definitley like you to get referal credit for me if I get in because your threads and information are what made me the choice to make Millis my first choice. :)

Steelersjunkie Thanks this.
  8. Chad H

Chad H Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Indiana
    So can someone tell me about how many miles are driven on a normal day at millis after starting solo? What is a normal start up and shut down time?

9. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Miles vary greatly depending on otr vs regional, time of year, region you are in at the time, the person you ask, etc.

I am ga regional and I run about 2100-2200 miles per week. I know guys who get less than that and those who run weekends and fun 2500-3000.

I know a lot of otr guys who say they run 3000-3500 per week.

Start times are going to vary based on customers and appt times and the need to run to make those times. That's why trip planning is stressed heavily. Making those times is your responsibility. Millis is not going to tell you when to run, they just give you an appt.

I like to start about 0400 when I can, that way I am shutting down early enough in the day that parking is easy to find. It doesn't always work that way though.

10. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    I do the exact same thing. I shoot for 3am. It's extremely peaceful and traffic-free for a good 4 hours. If you aren't near a major city, it's more like 5 hours. And like L.B. said, you'll never have to worry about parking at the end of the day.

FalconsFan21, DRAGON64 and SHOJim Thank this.
  11. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    Your miles can vary greatly from day to day. I had 450 today, almost 600 yesterday. I had a day last week where I got 50. That was an odd set of circumstances, but it happens. One thing you can count on with this job is there isn't really a normal day. To be completely honest with you that's part of what appeals to me. Every day is it's own animal. Juggling the hours and meeting the delivery times can be a challenge, and I've grown quite a bit as a result.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.