On Tour Logistics (OTL)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Diantane, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    I started with Averitt Express in their Truckload division hauling commodity freight @ $0.46 a mile, but I signed up for OTL during orientation. Three OTL employees came into the room to say a few words and show a short video. When I saw this I wanted to sign up immediately. Of the 75 people in the room, I was the only one (unlike other companies, they weren't all truck drivers and not only truckload. There's a lot more opportunities at Averitt (dedicated, LTL, local shuttle drivers (high hourly pay), sleeper shuttle @ $0.65/mile (terminal to terminal), dock workers, etc.).

After about five weeks OTL called and asked if I was ready to join their division and I told them that I was ready. After my current load was delivered to Ohio, I picked up another load nearby and brought that as a relay in our Nashville, Tennessee service center. Then I was assigned an OTL trailer. This is a special 53' dry van with OTL graphics, a long ramp locked underneath and there are several large LED lights inside the trailer (for the loading and offloading crews). Met another new OTL driver who was going with me on tour.

Our tractors were brought into the shop so they could turn up the maximum speed from 65 to 68. Then we were given tire chains. The next day we left for Denver, Colorado. Five other OTL drivers would be joining us and were coming from all over the country. Everyone came together at a production company warehouse. This is where our trailers were loaded with audio, video and lighting equipment.

Now for the first time in years I met other company drivers that I would see again. We know each other's names. We all have become friends and work together as a team. A lead driver that has been with OTL for four years guided us every step of the way. I throughly enjoyed this. Although we will sometimes ride together as a convoy, it isn't always like that, but we do communicate with each other while driving via cellular. The staring salary for the production drivers is about $1,200 a week. There are two types of OTL teams (Production and Touring). Touring drivers are more involved and get a higher salary. I can choose to go there or stay in production. Getting a guaranteed salary of $62,000 a year is twice as much as I every got paid working on commission. There are three salary tiers based on your time with OTL and the management opportunity.

We drove from Denver to Louisville, Kentucy.at the festival grounds. About fifty rock and heavy metal bands would be there. We backed up to the backstage outside dock and the next morning about a hundred stagehands arrived to offload us. The trailers were carefully offloaded by hand in about 25 minutes. Then we went to a parking area about two miles away. We dropped our trailers and could bobtail to the concert (we got free passes to the concert), to the caterers behind the stage or wherever we wanted to go (store, laundry, etc.. The caterers have great chefs and all the food is free (breakfast, lunch and dinner). One of the drivers brought his tractor to a service center for a PM and he rented a car to drive home for a few days. We would be here for the next two weekends and all the days between. Didn't have to drive hundreds of miles every day. Nope, we just enjoyed ourselves and got paid our salary to be there.

After the festivals were complete, four of the drivers went to another concert in New Jersey and three of us headed back to Denver. Now it is a two day drive, but we had about a week to get there. I was there in four days Once we got there our trailers were offloaded and then moved to the staging area. We took off with our tractors to a local truck stop for four days of R&R. Then we'll meet up at the production company to get loaded and get a week to get to Sacramento, California for the next concert (it's only a two day drive so we can take in the sights along the way). After that, we'll go back to Denver, get new equipment and head to Florida. Then back to Denver again to offload and that will be the end of this tour.

Until the next tour we have a choice, We can go home for a week or so, or haul freight for Averitt. If we go home, we still paid our salary. If we want to earn more money, we can haul freight. We would get our normal salary as well as the $0.46 a mile (double dipping). There are a lot of benefits working with OTL, but the reason most drivers don't work with us is the limited home time. OTL drivers only get home time between tours ((2 to 3 months). This is the trade off. My lifestyle allows me to stay out as the other OTL drivers. Some of our drivers may transfer back to their other divisions

Lonesome and archangelic peon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Confused

Confused Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2009
    somewhere else
    OTL the " SWIFT " of the entertainment industry.
    OTL cut the rates big time. Oh well production get what they pay for, a bunch of freight haulers who can't back a bobtail never mind a tractor trailer.

VolvoTerry and al_huryn Thank this.
  4. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    Can't back up a trailer? In 1987 I backed up a 45' drop deck trailer around a 4 mile obstacle course at a truck rodeo at a constant speed of 42 MPH (won a $1,000 prize and a nice trophy). Backed up a straight truck down a curvy country road at 58 in neutral. I'd like to see you do the same.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  5. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    What are all the salary tier amounts?
    What is the amount of time needed to reach any of them?
    Do you get any part of normal raises on your Averitt side of wages when you double dip?

Sounds similar to Roadmaster/SLT/TSMT/R&R in the DoD world.

What were the rates like prior to them?
    Are other entertainment haulers like Janco, Stage Call, Truck n Roll, or Xtreme any good?

6. lovetwodrive

lovetwodrive Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Melbourne Beach, FL
  7. Confused

Confused Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2009
    somewhere else
    I'm kind of bias towards Stage Call going on 9 years with them. Truck n roll Canadian company good drivers what I've seen.
    Xtreme when things are slow in entertainment you'll be pulling a reefer trailer.
    The Averitt / OTL drivers I've seen couldn't back up worth a crap. There again every company has drivers like that.
    As far as the rates go, we had 1 client had them for years, OTL under bid is by 6 figures.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  8. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    When I spoke to the lead driver about the salary tiers, you won’t get paid at tier 2 until your second year with them. Only lead drivers get tier 1. No idea what the higher amounts are, but that doesn’t really matter as by the time you are in your second year, they will be higher. Management is already talking about raising tier 3 to $1,300 to attract more drivers.

Since you are paid whether you work or not with OTL, you just can’t complain. Since you are not with Truckload full time, I doubt you would see any raises with that unless it is company wide.

At the moment there are about 100 OTL drivers. With that many and the lower rates, you got to know they have a lot of work.

9. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Good info thank you.
    Are Stage Call & SET sister companies or something?
    Saw an SET truck in the pictures of Stage Call's California office/terminal.

Talked to an SET driver a few years ago; he was very content & loved the "fringe benefits" of by nature being involved in large well known venues.

Seemed like they were more important to him than the excellent compensation & other accessorials.

Interesting world that not many of us outside the industry know much about or those in it care to share.

It is awesome not worrying about miles & delays cutting into a guaranteed paycheck for sure, I wouldn't willingly go back to the grindstone of CPM driving as a W2 driver.

Like I mentioned above in the reply to Confused as well, there are probably a lot of cool benefits that us outside the industry don't know about/experience. (Like you mentioned - free food, concerts, meeting famous people, etc.)

What is the deal about being a lead driver?

Are you the on site manager for the other loads/loading/unloading/routing on top of being a driver or something?

What does it take at OTL to become a lead driver?

Is any part of your salary per diem?

Good info, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    The first 38 years of my career was hauling oversized loads on salary and didn’t get CPM until Jan/2015 with Schneider. Even then, I never thought about “miles” once. I drove like I was on salary. Maintained max speed limit on highways, but did not speed or cut corners anywhere. If I-40 in Tennessee says 70 MPH for cars and 55 for trucks, I set the cruise control for 55. I’m never in a hurry.

So working on salary with OTL is more normal for me. It also allows me to travel to great locations. You don’t just see a warehouse all the time. You get to see huge stages and concerts that people pay up to $400 a ticket for It’s a completely different lifestyle. One that I thoroughly enjoy. While I was sitting in my tractor a limo pulls up and Sherl Crow steps out. She was full of smiles and so was I !

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Lonesome and archangelic peon Thank this.
  11. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    The lead driver worked in OTL for 3.5 years before becoming a lead driver. Part of this in the Touring division of OTL. So they have a lot of hands on experience. He also said that it takes between two to three years with OTL to reach Tier 2 salary. Less if you are in the Touring side.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.