One Eyed Pete - Monocular Vision

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Charlies_Contingency, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Charlies_Contingency

Charlies_Contingency Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2021
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hello All,

I've been driving hotshot over the last few years, and 2020 was pretty rough for my little company. There were points that I got low, really really low. I decided to put out some applications, shed my responsibilities and headaches, and start working for a larger truck outfit as a driver.

Long story short, despite driving Commercial and Non-Commercial weights in Texas for last 5 years, I was floored when I started hearing back from companies that they had no positions for me. I lost my right eye, so I have monocular vision, which means I can ONLY drive in Texas until I can challenge the feds for an Interstate waiver. Apparently nobody was interested. Local companies that were interested didn't pay crap.

Are there any Monocular vision drivers out there? How are you making it? Any of ya'll company drivers, or O/O's?

And before any of you ask, I have no violations or anything of the such. No tickets, no nothing. Not looking for work right now, I'm up to my eyeballs in work right now, I just need equipment to stay running so I can make that money.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I can't offer any direct advice, although it might help to clear up for future respondents, you say you're putting out applications but not looking for work?

Coffey Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I know a fella who's been an owner op for decades with just one eye.

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Sadly, it's not really about you.
    Lawyers/Insurance Companies run the companies now. If they detect anything that might be used against them in "ANY" accident, they don't want you hired.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Without 20/40.

I think you're limited to in state.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Coffey Thank this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I work with a guys with one eye and he’s been hired by our company multiple times. The company really likes his eye for detail.

8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    No companies come to mind, but I'll keep an eye out for you.

Yeah I know, dick move.

The problem for any company who would be willing to hire you is that their insurance carrier won't want to cover you. It's not personal, just the way things work today.

God prefers Diesels and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    I have 20/200 .Amblyopia in right eye.(Lazy)
    Got a waiver in Texas (easy),then decided to go OTR,and jumped thru the FMCSA hoops(Not as easy).
    Been getting it every 2 years for the past 6.
    I drive for Crete,and have 0 problems.
    They never question my sight.My Waiver didn’t update with Texas DOT one time,so I was OOS for about a week.

10. Gatordude

Gatordude Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Well, I was mono vision for many years and always got a 1yr card.

I decided back in 02-03 to remove it (quality of life issues) and kept driving until 06 when I moved into the desk side of things.

The waiver from what I could remember was pretty short and straight forward.

I wonder if I would qualify for one now after being outta a truck for the last 15?

Hell, I drove better with one eye than some people with 2.

11. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    When I saw the title of this thread, my mind went straight to the gutter. I’m a child.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.