One question I cannot find about being an Owner Op

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Mar 9, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Skipping over the parts about getting all of things needed to be an owner operator such as the truck, trailer, plates, paperwork, etc., once I have all of that I cannot find out how to start getting reasonable paying loads. I thought online load boards are the way but you guys say that they are all heavy and cheap. In my mind I think I have to use load boards until I meet brokers that I like and that like me to perhaps work out better paying loads?

I can stay out for as long as it takes and I have $400,000 in cash and credit so I can eat the costs during the initial stage. I do not want to lease onto a company. I ran my own business before in another field I can handle the business side of things. I just haven't made a move yet since so many posts claim there is no money to be made. I don't want to go through the whole process of getting my own authority and truck to find out there are no good paying loads. I will be happy netting over $100,000 or more a year. I can work everyday I don't need home time.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Loadboards don't have just cheap and heavy.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    So you have how much Commercial Driving experience?

5. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Seven straight years of reefer with the same company.

thaistick and HalpinUout Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Most of what you learned with other business that makes money won't here.

If you have $400k to sit on, you can make a lot more money doing something else.

7. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    I just meant that I know how to be self employed. I like trucking which is why I am doing it.

8. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    If you want to be self employed with 400k maybe look into getting investment properties- like a multifamily house, or multiple rentals.
    Or if you’re dead set on trucking, run your own for a few yesrs and then consider investing the 400k into something and it’ll pay you back ten fold.

9. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    I will do real estate investing too. I am part of an investment group and one of the trusted successful members is starting his own company in two years so I am waiting for him to get it going first.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  10. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    In that case go for it, you won’t know until you try it. Not all board freight is bad but it should only be used as a steppingstone to get your own customer base either direct or a good group of brokers

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    You can start with good load board and If you’re good, the better freight and brokers will begin to call you before they post it. Of course that relationship will eventually end too but that’s trucking.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.