one tail light not working on bobtail

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by KaneCounty, Oct 11, 2010.

1. KaneCounty

KaneCounty Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Kanab, Utah
    I frequently observe one tail light not working when a truck is bobtail and with a trailer I probably just don't notice but I rarely see a trailer with one tail light not working. Or is all this just in my imagination? I was thinking, the tractor is not required to have functioning tail lights when pulling a trailer so replacing/repairing that tractor tail light becomes low priority.
    Thanks,
    KaneCounty

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    if it is there,

it needs to be working !!!

KaneCounty Thanks this.
  4. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    That is correct KC,when under a trailer the rear tractor lights are not a factor
    BUT,IMO it pretty well reflects back on who is driving it as to the up keep of said equipment

KaneCounty Thanks this.
  5. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    KC, are you sure the landing gear on the trailer is not blocking your view from the tail light? The trucks blinkers and tail lights need to work all the time when turned on.

KaneCounty Thanks this.
  6. KaneCounty

KaneCounty Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Kanab, Utah
    I have seen it with no trailer so my view is unobstructed. (Sorry, poorly phrased question on my part)

thelastamericanhippy Thanks this.
  7. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa

They need to all be working. Sometimes the tail lights can be placed next to each other near the middle of the truck. Or a work light can be left on on the drivers side on the back of the truck half way up but most of the time its a white light. Some drivers get cute with other colors of light, but you would still see all the tail lights.

KaneCounty Thanks this.
  8. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    If it's under a trailer, most cops will give you a break. That said, if it's on my truck, it's gonna work...period.

9. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    what are the regulations on that ??

10. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    :biggrin_2556: Its says right there in the dot book , that all lights must be working, if there are two then two must be working, however if there just one from the fact that one has too be working, i rember when leds came , like wow, i was folling this truck from a safe distance , cause i thought he was lost and riding his brakes too slow for corner or something, nope super bright tail lights ,i thought they were his brake lights were on, i finnly got used to em , next i hate when they run bobtail and put that work light and make it super bright too , thus blinding the driver behind them, never did understand the purple light dot in middel of lense or those lights on the texa front bumper those light mounted way low, them drivers dont know how too drive so they need a light too see the markers there so they dont go over the yellow lines, never undertood that ether.:biggrin_25524:Everett.

11. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Another thing of note on that.
    One turn signal out on the rear of the truck is an OOS violation. If you are bobtail and you have one out on the tractor it is OOS.
    If you only have 1 on each side of the trailer and 1 is out, then you are OOS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.