One year report

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tinytim, Dec 27, 2008.

1. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Just talking about my experience. This isn't in any way meant to be a post to encourage people to get into the industry right now.

As far as that goes though, I got in just in time. There are few companies around here that hire new drivers and and even those ones, including the one I am with, are only taking experienced drivers at this time. Supply and demand as it is, taking on a new driver and the associated risks wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.

RickG Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Thanks TinyTim,
    I would imagine that a lot of us wannabes are having to think very, very seriously about making a career change right now in this economic climate. I'm fortunate in that I have a job that is satisfactory to me (school bus driving) so I don't have to "launch" into trucking immediately. I want join the ranks of the members I've met on the forum, but not at the risk of falling flat on my face. I'll go to driving school next summer and in the meanwhile continue to learn and stay abreast of industry forecasts.

From everything I've read in the forum, both positive and negative, about the experiences of newbies, making it for 2 years as you have is the exception rather than the rule. I wish you continued success and happiness!

4. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Thanks Oldnewbiegonnabe, things have worked out as well as I could have hoped.

From what I read on the forum and what I hear talking to people I wouldn't recommend anyone leave a stable job to get into trucking at this point. Was talking to a Werner driver at a T/S near Rochester a couple of weeks back. He had been sitting for two days, hadn't been home in three months, his miles sucked and he said they're trying to force him to team. I know of many companies in this neck of the woods that have parked trucks, have reduced pay, have cut miles and are just basically struggling to keep in the black.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. OV1D

OV1D Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2009
    ILLINOIS
    Not so fast...
    The trucking industry is one of the first industries to experience recessionary trends. And, therefore, is conversely one of the first industries to experience economic recovery. If, " The number of people employed in the industry is the lowest it has been since 1995 . " it is true, then the optimist would regard this as good news. And especially for the Owner Operator wannabes who will be in great demand once this economy begins to recover. Each industry will purge, during times of economic contraction, it's excesses, and those who are over paid, along with those who are under worked. For many who have experienced high times and good pay in this industry they will find it unworthy of their time to perform the same work for less. But for those who enter this industry during low times and poor pay they will continue to be encouraged as their experience improves along with the improvement in the economy. It's all about timing, you'll want to get in just before demand increase and while the supply of trucks and drivers continues to decrease.

6. A512

A512 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    nunya
    Why dont EVERYONE sit down. Big companies, everyone. And say look, these fkn ppl wantin their product pulled is gonna have to

pay this much,nothing less. Nobody undercut one another..lol that would last...ugh...... ..... .....bout 5 secs.lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Owner operator wannabes ??? In great demand ? If you are referring to lease operators they are NOT O/O's . No wannabe will make it as an O/O . So you think the future of the industry is cheap labor because they are stupid enough to be abused for substandard wages . "Continue to be encouraged " ? Tell me what encouragement they are getting now .
    Those that are paid well will continue to be paid well . They have customers that must have quality service and are willing to pay for a professional with reliable equipment move their goods . Schneider can continue to move products made in third world companies for WlMart and pay accordingly .

A512 Thanks this.
  8. A512

A512 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    nunya
    lol..I still saw students being trained and experienced drivers lookin for work with no luck

9. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I know there's some companies only taking students, not in this neck of woods though. I don't understand it, the student thing, when there are lots of experienced drivers out of work. Training is expensive, I don't have official stats but I'm pretty sure new drivers cost more in accidents and other damage. Tax write offs or government incentives I guess.

10. A512

A512 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    nunya
    Ya they just look at figures on paper. Are we making more money off tax breaks then we lost off accidents..$ is the only thing these corporate giants care about. Not you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.