Online DOT Annual Inspection Training "Certification?"

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by haulinasphalt, Sep 12, 2022.

1. haulinasphalt

haulinasphalt Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Got an interesting question here... First off, my boss HATES when I have to send a truck to the dealership for ANYTHING, which is why I try to perform any/all work I can myself. He once asked me what the difference between an annual inspection and a daily pre/post trip inspection, which I explained. My boss then asked why I couldn't perform an annual DOT inspection myself? Although I am mechanically inclined, I am not mechanically certified. At all. In my younger years, I applied for a job as an oil tech at Wal-Mart one time and was not offered the job, because I did not have a piece of paper that says I can turn a wrench and unscrew an oil filter.

Anyway, here's my question. I found a website that allegedly offers online DOT annual inspection training and certification, for a price that sounds too good to be true. It claims to offer all the proper training along with that fancy, overpriced piece of paper with a passing grade that says you know what you're doing. I have no idea if this site and it's credentials are legit or not. Anybody ever heard of this website...? DOT Annual Inspection Training Online

Again, just an INQUIRY. I'd rather ask a stupid question now, than get scammed and look like a fool later.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Does your experience qualify you under 396.19? You don't have to have a certificate to be qualified.

4. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Places I worked amost always have one of their mechanics certified.They go to a class for a day or two.Some places have a third party inspection for liability.When you end up in court they are going to talk to whoever it was that signed off on the annual.
    It's probably best to go to a regular class the first time,they'll cover all the training requirements,osha rules,and other things.To recertify later do the online stuff.Im a certified Crane Inspector,have my own crane inspection company,and drive truck.My recert is $1800 every 2 years.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why are you going to a dealership for an annual anyway? I mean even a TA does annuals? And that's something I would actually trust they can't screw up. Plus just about every third party diesel mechanic does annuals. A lot of times you can even get mobile guys out, but less cost than getting an annual dinette dealership price.

6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    You know how many times i've seen annual's from shops that had motor coach seats checked off? Lock and side ring? Low pressure warning(on a trailer)?

Siinman Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    No wonder there's so much junk on the highways when anybody and their dog can inspect a truck.

8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    From the web site.
    "Although there is no specific DOT Annual Inspector Certification available."

To me it sounds like a general training course in what the DOT looks for and the rules. It'd be good to have all shop workers knowledgeable about DOT but it doesn't look like gives you anything else.

9. haulinasphalt

haulinasphalt Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks for the help everyone! I know I could just put the liability in someone else's hands, and have my truck inspected way cheaper than at a dealership, however, one of my guys at another shop took a truck to some shade tree mechanic to save money and almost completely destroyed an otherwise good truck, and still didn't fix the problem. Ever since, the president of our company has required all trucks to be serviced and inspected at our local dealership, despite how much my boss gripes and groans every time I mention there's an issue that needs to be fixed.

I'm pretty anal about my truck (maybe a little too anal,) which is why I figured, If I can do an annual on my truck myself, why not? I know what level of quality I put into PTIs and would put into my annuals, whereas anywhere else, we're paying for someone else's sticker and their word that she's roadworthy per DOT standards. If it really IS better to leave it into the hands of a "qualified" technician, I will. I just figured, I'd be doing my company, myself and those around me in traffic a favor, while saving my ears and rear from the boss man.

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Be anal about your truck but keep your head out of the noose!

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If you are responsible for your companys maitinence program for atleast 1 year. You meet the guidlines under the regulations for doing your companys annual dot inspection

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.