only 6 months otr exp

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by againstthewind, May 21, 2020.

1. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    thought i would post this here as there are many new drivers that might not want to stay otr for a year or more before getting a local job. also i cant stand the megas lol Ruan Transportation has a school for drivers with 6 months exp in Clovis NM, if you dont want to stay on the road they have many local accounts across the country, also regional accounts, tanker, van, flat etc. i havnt went to their school so i cant provide any info. you can search their website for areas and openings that might be available after training. sounds like a recruiting ad now that i read it,lol im just passing along anything that i think might be usefull to someone. hey look at me, i think i made a nice post, maybe im not so bitter and miserable, therapy may be helping lol

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Texas_hwy_287 and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    In most instances 3 months to 6 months can get you In the door at many places . Just remember training for a couple months isn't considered drive time by alot of places , I found that out .

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    Ruan Transportation, is much like Ryder Logistics, Penske Logistics, Cardinal Logistics, Lily Transportation and a few others...it amounts to DRIVER leasing companies. you work for an account, and many times, get worked to death.

they (the customer) makes sure they squeeze the life blood out of you.

how do i know this?

I worked for Ryder and Lily Transportation.

Ruan had a flatbed account here in my state, then lost it to some other Logistics company, and they WERE NOT taking newbies, you had better have the experience when you applied.

so yeah, they MAY....or MAY NOT...hire someone with less than 1 year of experience.

so for a company that has dedicated accounts, and needs drivers bad enough to take on newbies with very little experience, tells me that now, THEY AIN'T NO BETTER than a mega carrier.

5. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    im sure the account you run on and where is different for everyone, but i worked on a ruan acct for 7yrs, it was one of the few driving jobs ive had in over 20 yrs that i wasnt worked to death, i did alot of short runs and was home within 7-9 hrs, did i make alot? well i can assure you this, for the time i spent working vs the time i spent home i certainly did better than any mega when you compare it hourly or by the mile, i added it up everyday for both, is 50k alot per year, well i couldv made more but i didnt complain because there were many days i left my house and was back at house within 7 hrs. all i kno is ive worked for ruan and ive also drove for companies that rent penske and ryder trucks. some good some not.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ruan is bigger than you think...

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    i know they are big, i look at their website often for openings across the country, i know at one pount they had the tallest building in downtown des moines iowa lol but im lazy, and ruan was the easiest job ive had for the money, i was just offering soneone who might be lookn for other options some advice that may or may not be helpfull. could ruan be considered a mega, i guess if you look at it as a whole, when i was with ruan they shared an office with swift, ive listened to the way the dispatchers on the phone talked to the drivers, you can keep that nonsense. but im sure the same can be said for a ruan account sonewhere,but that wasnt my exp

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  8. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    i dont wanna debate it, i dont work for ruan, i dont have to work for a mega, i can do whatever i want, im just offering suggestions. if someone wants to work for swift or jb hunt have at it, ive worked for both, not bad jobs just not worth the money for me, but no different than any company depends on what your doing there, guy above talked about how ruan lost that account, ive worked on accounts for jb hunt that they lost, thats not the point.

9. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    not to change the subject but if you live in a state that doesnt allow large gatherings due to the virus just book a cheap flight on an airline for all of you and your friends because apparently its ok to be stuffed on a plane with people but not in church or at the bar, so drink up on the plane with 100 of your friends lol

Farva and Long FLD Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You see a lot of Ruan trucks in NM pulling milk tanks. I know they run a bunch of trucks into the Leprino plant in Roswell. Might be good, steady work for anyone interested.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.