Only Drivers Happy With Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by JimTheHut, Nov 30, 2009.

1. FLCDL

FLCDL Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Florida
    werner said imma be runnin FL-ME-MN-LA thats my region and everything between those states. what account would you think i am on?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    Oh yeah, I forgot some accounts are supposed to follow routing messages and can't get shop priority at terminals. Its too bad more drivers can't keep their units maintained well enough that they don't have to fear the safety lane. There is a lot of knowledge inside the terminals that never gets the chance to spread outside the crooked fences.

4. FLCDL

FLCDL Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Florida
    hey barroll any idea what imma be runnin? i posted my area imma cover in my previous post.

5. barroll

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    Sounds like east coast regional to me. You'll run out of that area here and there, and if you don't take your hometime at every avaialable interval, they may even send you out west or to canada if you showed them your passport.

If you want to stay in that area, make sure you send in your hometime requests right after you get back in the truck at the end of your hometime. This will help the dispatcher know that he either needs to keep you close to home, or only has a week or two to get you a load lined up heading back that way.

Good luck, but I advise you try to find a dedicated account. Haven't met anyone doing well on any regional account.

6. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Well, my brother is giving me his 2000 International 9400 and 2006 Fontain flatbed trailer. Now what with only 5 months OTR experience. Any suggestions out there?

7. barroll

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I'd keep driving for werner and polish the fenders on my days off until I had 1-2 years experience. It should take you a good year with werner to sock away enough cash to get started as an O/O, and the experience you gain from 6-24 months is invaluable if you aren't the one footing the bill for your own mistakes.

You might be able to scrape by at werner since the equipment is paid for, but they prefer running their flatbeds as trainer/teams.

Plenty of advice in the Ask an Owner Operator section.

8. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Thanks for the advice but I'm ready to take the plunge but not without good support. Seeing as my gimpy brother can't work for a while since his lovely wife shot him in the foot (accident) he'll use the load board he is subscribed to for loads. I also have local companies that I can get loads from. Basically, if I can run Houston to DFW area and West Texas oil fields that would satisfy me.

The truck is in good shape as well as the trailer and will give me good service as long as I take care of it. I was also a heavy wheeled mechanic in a former life (military) so doing a lot of my own work when needed will save me time and $$ as well.

I just don't like marching to the beat of someone elses drum if you know what I mean.

9. barroll

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    So are you operating under his authority, or throwing a few thousand at the truck so you can put your own name on the door?

I think it'd probably be easier from a legal perspective for your brother to just hire you as a driver.

10. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Every one that busy that they have no time to post here? I'm still happy and still with Werner. Working this Dollar General account has done wonders for me. I've dropped around 15 pounds already and it's not even hot yet.

11. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    Good to see somebody is still happy with Werner. Hope it continues to work for you. I did a little over 4 years with no major complaints, it was far from perfect, but no big horror story either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.