Only trailer running/clearance lights not working

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Greggg, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    I was wondering if someone could help me out.

My running lights on my trailer are not working. Turning signals are.

When I clean the terminals to my truck and trailer it works about 10-20 senconds (if I just take them out and back in they still don’t work). I have a fuse that is really hot, if I take it out put it back in same thing lights work for 10-20 sec

Can it be a short to the truck or only trailer ? Wrong size fuse ? Anything else ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Start with the easy stuff first.
    Pull the ends off the pigtail and make sure the screws are tight and no wires are touching.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Unhook the light cord from the trailer and try it again. That will normally isolate it to the truck or the trailer.
    If it stops wiggle the ends of the light cord and the rest of it while watching the lights. If they dim or cut out it is likely in the cord.
    After you isolate it to the truck or trailer turn off the lights for a couple minutes. Then turn them on and run to look at all the lights. More eyes are better. If you see a light that is out or dimmer than the rest start looking there. Maybe just disconnect it.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You have a short to ground on the trailer. The short is causing the circuit breaker to heat up and open. The breaker is resetting when you disconnect the trailer cord and remove the short, the breaker cools and makes contact again. After you find the short, replace the breaker with a new one. They cant take the repeat abuse of a short very long.

Working2party Thanks this.
  6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I see this a bunch with trailers from the north . After 5 Yeats they start getting shorts all over the trailer.
    Many times when there is multiple shorts it's time to rewire the trailer but usually the trailers get sold.
    Thank you salt.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully I’m right on being optimistic not having to rewrite the whole trailer especially this trailer mostly did runs from TX-CA

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I don’t know what type of trailer your working on, but if it has the sealed preform harness, i’ve Isolated many direct shorts (on tank trailers) by disconnecting sections. With the harnesses I’ve seen, sometimes it’s a little wire pin that locks them, some are just a zip tie.

So if for the 10-20 sec they are on, if you can’t identify a dim or out light. Start looking for disconnects in the harness, unplug it, and see if the forward lights stay on. Usually I find a disconnect mid trailer and at the rear, one for each side in both places.

Good luck, sometimes that’s most of finding shorts

9. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Cool I got a reefer and actually there’s been a small light mid trailer that’s been dim for a while. I’ll start there

Working2party and Goodysnap Thank this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    If that reefer has the big round or octagon box where you plug the pigtail in, that is where the trouble is a lot of time.

Greggg Thanks this.
  11. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    It does, thanks I’ll look in there should have some time tomorrow or this week end

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.