OOIDA Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Clasix1055, May 11, 2012.

1. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Does anyone have their cargo and liability through them?

Do you have any problems with some brokers not accepting? (flatbed)

My quote from OOIDA is around $4,000 cheaper than the next best quote I got BUT they did tell me that not all companies accept their insurance. I have confirmed that Landstar is one of the companies that will not accept, Landstar corporate says because it is not B+ rated OOIDA says because they have filed charges on Landstar

I have a few days to decide (16th) I want to have the ability to utilize as much freight as possible, but I do understand that as a carrier and not a BCO I will not have acess to Landstars full loadboard. Is it worth it?

I currently run my bobtail, trailer, and pd through OOIDA and have not had a problem

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Keep shopping. They are generally not the cheapest. And with a flat, LS can be a large source of good paying loads in your area.

Hanadarko and Clasix1055 Thank this.
  4. tomkatrose

tomkatrose Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed with Bill. OOIDA has ruffled some feathers fighting LS and others. Why limit your potential revenue sources.

Clasix1055 Thanks this.
  5. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    Thers quite a few that will not accept OOIDA insurance. Something i think to do with it being a pool and not its own insurance company. I could be somewhat wrong on the reason but its along those lines. Shop around when i checked them they where not the cheapst for me.

6. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    $4k difference between quotes? Wow.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

Doesn't pass the smell test.

8. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I use OOIDA for all of my supplemental coverages, but get my cargo and liability insurance elsewhere.

OOIDA has a lot of great supplemental coverages that you can pick and choose depending on your operation.

9. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    OOIDA can say what they want, but LS is not bsing you. LS requires a certain level of A.M. Best rating and OOIDA's insurance does not have that high of a rating. Even those of us leased on, must get insurance through companies, with that level of rating for our Unladen Liability and Occupational Accident coverages. LS does not tell us where to buy our policies, only the minimum standards to be met and OOIDA, unlike many others, does not meet those minimum standards.

10. AM77

AM77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    From what i've heard, LS requires US based insurance, while OOIDA's (Lloyd of London) is England (Great Britain) based. :biggrin_25513:

11. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    There never was an issue with OOIDA insurance until after the lawsuit since OOIDA met the minimum standards of 1 million dollar coverage with CPP and Unlaiden Liability.

After that, LS figured that they can get back at OOIDA by raising the rating.
    However there are still many of us that are grandfathered and still carry "ALL" our insurances with OOIDA without any issues.

Its all politics and the driver is caught in the middle as usual.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.