Open letter about wakefulness

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveBausch, Nov 21, 2018.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    nights are tough

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nights are way easier than daytime. You can get alot done at night in terms of mileage and risk management. Just need to be careful in certain areas of the USA.

Daytime lighting is beginning to be a problem. I actually have certain issues in the retinas and cannot take the extra power of some of these lights. But that's ok, a little extra film on top of the dark shades helps out.

You would think with the technology we would be using certain heads up displays as in the buick lacrosse and a few other vehicles for purposes of heat sensing camera vs Deer at night before you see them visually for example. Or to get through fog sufficiently thick to where you have to park it and then physically walk the interchange to make sure you got the right distances for the correct ramp to the interstate of all things. Grantsville Md in the mountains early in the morning comes to mind. Especially when there is a thermocline 20 feet above the ground which makes it around 5 feet above the bridge over it and 3 below your windows.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. kw107

kw107 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Northen Indiana.
    I'm sure you have a lot of young guys thinking what ?

mustang190 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV

Had i been paying attention while local i would have tried to find you in game. If your still playing im NefDev in game. Granted it might be a long while before i set sail again. 20190913_161849.jpg

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Source for reddish light causing sleepiness? I ask because there is also reddish light at sunrise.

Has anyone noticed that if you sleep with your cab curtains open, you’ll wake up sooner? I’d say sunlight has something to do with this. I normally sleep with windshield sun shades covering all my windows and the cab curtains closed. This past summer I had to sleep with my cab curtains open because my APU wasn’t working and I didn’t want to idle my truck. That’s when I experienced this phenomenon.

Lepton1 and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I was awake for two darks the other day. That sucked.

Lepton1, FlaSwampRat and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  8. FerrissWheel

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Yeah, sun gets on me at all and i wake up.

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    The worst is like 19-25 hours awake. After that it’s not so bad. Still sucks but get easier. Then the second night you’re crashing.

FlaSwampRat and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  10. FerrissWheel

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Yeah, ive been in that boat more than once and for things other than driving. Its like past 20 hrs your body just says alright we will stay awake..... But somewhere past that there is usually a really hard crash at some point, where your body will just say no more. Usualy somewhere around the 30-40 hr mark for me.

Never went that extreme while driving, but ive hit the 24hr mark before,,,, and i never wanna do that crap again.

Fold_Moiler and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I can't sleep unless the sun is up. People say it's impossible to adapt to night work but I'm living proof that you can. I'm actually worried about when day work opens up at my job. I asked for it but I don't know how long it will take me to flip my sleep schedule.

Lepton1, Woodys and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.