Operating fleets

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Menehune, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Does Stevens only have OTR (48 state) drivers, or do they also have Western, midwest, south central, northeastern and southeastern fleets? If they do have fleets, other then all 48, could someone from the Northwest request and get assigned to the South central, midwertern, and/ or northeasterns fleets and stay out of the western 11 states? I know its a crazy question, but there is a reason I ask it. Further, how many days hometime before your tractor is reassigned?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    If that's a crazy question, I must be a lunatic. I live in the North East, if I could run just the Western 11 I would in happy. However to your point, other than a couple of dedicated fleets, Kraft and Perdue come to.mind, that are account specific, we do not have any geographical fleets that I am aware of.

I believe the stated company policy is over 5 days and they will reassign your tractor. I may be wrong on that one.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Menehune and Corporal_Clegg Thank this.
  4. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Stevens has both dedicated fleets such as Kraft or Perdue as well as dedicated lanes and regional drivers.
    All drivers start out the same way: A company driver for all 48 states.
    After gaining some experience, and opportunity availing itself, you may request and be assigned to a dedicated fleet such as Perdue.
    The rules vary according to the fleet and are pretty much run by that single fleet DM. You basically run between those fleet shipping/receiving points and will haul other freight under very limited circumstances.
    You can request to become a regional driver and stay in a certain region (most of the time). It doesn't matter where you live.
    An example is drivers that drive the eastern seaboard, or drivers that run the southeast, or midwest. Once they prove their ability and willingness to take ANY load in a certain area, they're pretty much set.
    An example is the midwest. Danny Doakes is the planner for that area and has several drivers that are assigned to him. He is their DM. Other than running to Dallas occaisionally, those drivers virtually never leave the upper midwest.

Menehune Thanks this.
  5. Menehune

Jan 21, 2011
    Actually the bottom line here is to stay out of the Western 11 states. Or possibly extremely minimize the time in the western11 states. Would that be a possibility.

6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Not for a new driver at Stevens. Most of the training is done in the 11 Western states. Not to many mountains in Florida.
    I can't think of any reason why a person would not want to drive in the west. Less congestion and beautiful scenery.

Menehune, Emulsified and KMac Thank this.
  7. Menehune

Jan 21, 2011
    First off I live in the west, pacific northwest. Second lets just say for financial reasons.

8. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Generally speaking a driver gets the most miles when they run the 11 western states. Just a lot of geography to cover between points.
    Average run for a solo if you load in CA is 1600+ miles.
    Average run for a solo if you load in PA is 700+ miles.
    Makes the pain of an extra day to load that three pick produce a little easier to take.
    And...virutally no tolls for you contractors!

Menehune and buzzarddriver Thank this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    For me the issue is getting to the Western 11... seems as soon as I do its right back to the Northeast/Midwest Loop I hate so much.

Menehune and nascarchuck Thank this.
  10. Menehune

Jan 21, 2011
    I generally would not have any problem running the Western states, or anywhere else. In fact under normal conditions I would prefere to be closer to home on the west. But, due to some stupid regulations which I unfortunately must follow, should I pick up a load originating in the western 11 states I would, or could be penalized financially. Rather not explain on a open forum.

11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    A situation like this would need to be disclosed on an application. It would then become a reason to be denied employment.
    If it were not disclosed and then you brought it up after employment, it would be cause for termination.
    As an example, would you hire a person who couldn't service 50% of your clients, when there was a line of people who could?
    Sorry, but them's the facts.

Menehune and Corporal_Clegg Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.