opinions on glider kits

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TommyToe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    No actually a glider kit is sold with no running gear. you are talking about a glider kit that some outside company has asembled. So I would say it's as good as the company finishing it.Like stated earlyer parts can be hard since all dealers use the vin number too look up parts and a glider will not have a valid vin that they will recognize for this purpose. Also I have heard that insuring one can be dificult but I don't have first hand experience with this. I know I almost bought a new 359 pete glider back in the mid nineties. they were still selling them new then.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    I was looking at a 379 flat top glider kit the other day. Its set up for a C-13 & 10spd. Have a totaled 379 daycab with a C-15 & 10spd and one good rear. Totaled from a tornado. I just can't see spending $80k on a rolling chassis when I can find a similar rebuilt setup with documentation for close or under the same price and not spend my time trying to make something new and something old work together like a new unit . JMHO

4. TommyToe

TommyToe Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Scottsboro, Alabama
    i think y'all are right, i just have a bad gut feeling about it......although at first glance, it is very enticing.

later,
    toe

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I know a guy that has one of those in a dump truck. Basically, it's a Peterbilt sitting on a Mack chassis. The engine, transmission, and suspension is all Mack, down to the camelback springs.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    My milk hauler from years ago had bought a new truck for a driver, who promptly rolled it, damaging the body beyond repair, but leaving the drive train intact. It was a Freightliner and he rebuilt it with a new glider kit keeping the same VIN number. It was basically still the same truck down to the model year.

He bought another truck for the driver and eventually sold out to him, that truck had a Cat motor, and now that driver has replaced the FLs with Binders, still running small Cats.

7. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    still sounds familliar -

you buy a rolling chassis of a cobra - build your 302 up - car arrives via freight at your doorstep - drop motor in - paint it - title it /license it - 25K$ later you have a hot rod....

so "glider" means a roller... hence the reference to (glider)

8. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas

Its the exact same. Like buying a rolling chassis drag car or hot rod kit.

9. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    but after all that work you end up with a ford! lol

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    you all seem to have strange idea of what a glider is. A lider is nothing more then a truck sold by the manufacturer with no motor, trans and rear ends. EVERYTHING ELSE is factory assembled and come with a title for THAT truck, there is no retitling. If you wreck a truck or something you can buy a glider and put the drivetrain from our wreck in it allot cheaper then buying a whole new one.
    As for the quality or whatever liek I said it's all factory but the drivetrain. If you know who built the truck you can get a better idea of the quality. I wouldn't buy an old glider that you have no idea what billy bob did to it in his back yard. But these companies who build them and sell them new I wouldn't have any concerns with buying from as long as the company passed my background check.

just so EVERYONE knows. if you ever look at used trucks you can tell a glider as it will have GL in the vin number. lots of people buy them and never know it

Baack Thanks this.
  11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...

They no longer put the GL in the Vin number.

When you buy a glider now you have to take it to an authorized dealer so they can check all the numbers on the rears,trans, and engine to make sure they aren't stolen parts. They then put them numbers in the computers so when you use the Vin number to get parts they know what you have. You also have to do this to get the truck titled.

You can also get a motor with a glider....I got a 3406B Cat in mine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.