Oreintation ?

Discussion in 'Interstate' started by sal, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    got stuck there one weekend, only reason i didnt mind is there were 2 other drivers there playing world of tanks which now Im addicted to and they have wifi there lmao. but trying to find parking there, absolutely horrible

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Just cause you can get fuel, take a shower and get a repair doesn't make it a Terminal. The "office" is for repairs. There are no dispatchers there. You can define "terminal" how ever you want, but it's not a Terminal. It is defined by IDC as a "service/drop yard".

4. NJKatwoman

NJKatwoman Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    After speaking with "Zeth" on the phone the other day, regarding working for Interstate, based out of Lebanon, TN, I was nearly ready to say "Yes" to attend their orientation program. Oh, but wait, I still had a couple of questions:
    1) If I am not accepted for hire, does Interstate pay my bus fare back home? ANSWER WAS NO. Deal breaker for me, you are NOT going to leave me stranded in Tennessee! USXpress tried to do that to me, thankfully, I had $130.00 left on a credit card, if I hadn't had that little bit of credit left, I would have been hitchhiking to NJ from OH. Question Two: Is the physical that Interstate gives in orientation a difficult one? Do women have to lift heavy weight up over their shoulders. ANSWER WAS YES! Why would I have to do that, when it is a drop and hook, no touch freight job??? I am a 59 year old woman, who is smart enough not to risk injury by lifting heavy things up over my head! So, I am upset and disappointed. I have nearly 18 years of T/T experience under my belt. I am a safe and courteous driver. My customer skills are terrific. The job was five days out, two days home, perfect for me, so that I can get home to take care of my personal responsibilities and pets. So, to anyone thinking about working for Interstate, make sure you have bus fare back home, in case you need it, or better yet, tell him, "If you can't get me back home, then I'm not interested in what you're offering". Same with the jumping through hoops in orientation.....this is especially grievous for the women in the industry, or more mature individuals who are not in the same physical condition that they were 25 years ago. Good luck.

Paloma and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  5. NJKatwoman

NJKatwoman Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why isn't anyone mentioning the grueling physical that they put you through?

6. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    It must be a new policy .. I started with Interstate (Owner/Op) October 2112 .. and there was no physical test then. (I left Interstate July 2013).

7. skyviper73

skyviper73 Heavy Load Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    I guess the key word is "grueling". I have had several physical tests with different companies and aside from making me lift, climb, and taking my heart rate after the exercises, I never found them "grueling". You will probably never work that hard in the actual job, but they want to be sure that if the rare occasion does occur, you can handle it with out injuring yourself. I'm attending orientation in Lebanon on 9/4 so I will report back here if the physical test seems extreme or unreasonable.

8. mangocat1

mangocat1 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    SoCal
    I wasn't put through any physical test... just a road test and backing exercise. Interstate didn't strike me as a company that would waste money inviting you to orientation just to send you home.

skyviper73 and sal Thank this.
  9. buddybaker

buddybaker Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2007
    I went through Oreintation in April, no "gruling physical", did the "P" test and "Hair" test and was done. They did ask the question, "can you lift your travel bag into the Truck and can you climb into the Trailer to sweep it if it is dirty", doesn't seem to "gruling" to me, forgot to mention I'm 70 years old and there are older guys than me driving.

If you don't think you are qualified, why would you apply?

skyviper73 and sal Thank this.
  10. BigRigFisher324

BigRigFisher324 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Interstate will pay for your bus fare home in the very unlikely chance you don't make it through orientation. They run all the reports and do employment verification prior to orientation, so they won't waste your time bring you to ori. Also, I don't believe they are no tough freight. I think the majority is drop and hook, but drivers have to unload at times.

sal, OPUS 7, Giltner1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. OregonJoe

OregonJoe Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Portland Oregon
    Interstate will get you home and not leave ya stranded

NJKatwoman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.