Orientation 6/24/13

Discussion in 'Melton' started by RayT70, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Azcannon

Azcannon Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    alright come say hi when you make it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RayT70

RayT70 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Colorado
    Update: The situation at Melton has become precarious. Coming back from a leave of absence Melton decided to give me a truck that has an inward facing camera and microphone in it :biggrin_25513: I have the thing wrapped up for right now. On Monday I'll talk to the shop boss about getting another truck that doesn't have one. If not I'll be on my way. After speaking with safety tonight it's clear that the camera is not coming out, and soon Melton's entire fleet will have them. This being the case my time here is limited even if I get another truck on Monday. Too bad. Melton has a lot of good people who care about the drivers. I'll update again on Monday.

4. dragonj

dragonj Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Hi, I am in school now for my CDL. I have a pre-hire with Melton. I have really done my research on most of the companies out there so that I can try for the best possible start. Melton seems like a great company. Tell me more about this camera thing. What did safety say about why the cameras and microphones are in the trucks? Is it to keep an eye on the driver? Can we tell if they are turned on? Thanks,

5. RayT70

RayT70 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Colorado
    Apparently the company is going to have them in all their trucks. They're mounted on the windshield and give a full view of the driver, passenger, and sleeper cab. They also come with a microphone. Saftey likes them because if there is an accident it makes it easy to see what the driver was doing.I think a forward facing dash cam is a good idea, but not one with a microphone that's pointed back at me. They don't need to be hearing my private conversations on the phone or staring at me all day long. Out on the road the truck is my home. It's an invasion of privacy. Melton has good points and bad. They pay more than the training companies, the trucks have inverters and apu's, and there's a lot of good people here. On the down side the 660's are too small on the inside, home time is only 1:7, detention pay is a joke, and I have also had a lot of trouble with my truck. The bad points I was willing to tolerate as every company has theirs, but the camera/Mic thing I draw the line at. I'll know on Monday if I still have a job.

6. RayT70

RayT70 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Colorado
    Heh, good news! The shop is kind enough to remove the camera! Yea! I'm so happy! :smt041

7. jcoop

jcoop Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Alamogordo, NM
    Does Melton recruit out of New Mexico?

8. RayT70

RayT70 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Colorado
    I'm not sure. Give the recruitment department a call. Noggin would probably know.

9. slcspud

slcspud Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2014
    SLC, UT
    I've read through everything in this thread, you all still with Melton? I'll be at orientation on the 10th, I'm excited but super nervous. I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow, all this is completely new to me

10. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Most likely. I'm out of phoenix.

11. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I'm still here! 8 months in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.