Orientation in less than 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Prime' started by gotjackson, Nov 17, 2016.

1. TurnpikeTourist

TurnpikeTourist Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    A smaller class is good for you though. More one on one. I went through with a class of 120 and the days were 12-16 hours long and it was crazy but fun.
    Glad your enjoying the experience and keep asking questions. They like that. Also you don't have to wait for them to assign a trainer, if you keep talking to drivers one of them might be or know a trainer and give them a call for you. Some trainers don't say they are just to feel out students and get to know them better.
    If your in PSD you don't have to go out with a reefer driver, you can go flat or tank and come back and switch. My advice though is find a trainer in reefer that will also take you TNT. that way when you come back to test you won't have to wait for another trainer to come get you.
    Shifting will come and its easier in the actual truck imo. For the road test you do lose points for grinding gears, but as long as you show your in control of the vehicle and know which gear you need to be in you should be fine. Ask about impeding traffic, I believe its still a failure if you make someone stop or slow down for you.My trainer did say he lost a few to this. Just be patient and be comfortable and you'll do fine.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gotjackson

gotjackson Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. Today the orientation trainer said the same thing about shifting in a truck - that it's easier than with the simulator. Thursday (today) was almost all backing exercises, which I didn't have any trouble with. I've been driving a 39' fifth wheel RV for almost ten years, so it's just a matter of adjusting to the extra length. Orientation trainer also was pretty confident about me getting a PSD trainer by Saturday. Good news is, because I live just minutes from the terminal, waiting is a lot easier because I'm at home. One more day of orientation and I'll be ready to go, but we're still waiting on the drug test results. Tonight I got everything packed and ready to go so that when I get word a trainer is available, I will be prepared to go quickly if needed. As each day passes, I feel more and more excited and confident about what I'm doing. Even better, all my family and friends are just as excited and happy for me.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  4. TurnpikeTourist

Apr 12, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Just curious to how your making out over there.

5. gotjackson

gotjackson Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Update for the past few days. They've all been pretty short (about 6 hours each day). Over the weekend spent a lot of time on the simulator. Monday, had a trainer that was in SLC take me road driving for the first time. Tuesday, had a different trainer (actually someone in training to become a trainer) do most of the pretrip on his truck with me, worked on the pad for a couple of hours backing and then bob tailed out on the road for a couple of hours working on shifting. These past two days have been very productive in terms of getting more comfortable and learning things in a real world truck.

Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, they were a little backed up on available trainers, which is why I'm still not out on the road yet. However, Friday afternoon they found me a trainer, but he won't be in Salt Lake until Wednesday morning. He sent me a text earlier today saying he would be ready to go around 9-10am, so tonight I'll just be doing some laundry, finish my packing and be ready to head out with him for PSD tomorrow.

All in all, my experience in Salt Lake has been great. The orientation manager is easy to get along with and the two tester-trainers have been extremely helpful and actually fun to work with and learn from. From what everyone has told me, Salt Lake is more laid back in their approach than Springfield, but I would say it's been perfect for me and my personality.

One of the good things about my PSD trainer is that he runs a dedicated route between Idaho Falls and Dallas, which means we'll be close to or passing through Salt Lake a couple of times every week. So, when he feels I'm ready to test out, it will be very easy to get back here for the testing and move on to TNT.

I also have to say how impressed I am with Prime in general. They are clearly a company that wants to do things the right way in terms of safety and and training. Plus, the compensation makes a long-term commitment that much easier. Since I'll be on the road starting tomorrow morning, I'm not sure when my next update here will be, but I'm very excited to be moving forward with my training.

6. TurnpikeTourist

Apr 12, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Glad its all working out for you. The two weeks will go quickly especially if you get along and have some fun while learning! It will be a nice holiday present for you when you come back to test out and grab your CDL.
    I really liked running for Prime. great freight, plenty of miles, good shops, and great staff. Always treated us with respect because they all know if it's not for the drivers they would not have a job. I would still be running for them if they had a dedicated run that could get me home for a reset on the weekends here in NY.
    Post whenever you get the chance. Good luck and stay safe.
    -Mike

crazeydude Thanks this.
  7. jessiewhitney

jessiewhitney Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I'm starting at SLC in a few weeks and I'm so nervous and excited.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.