Orientation with Eastern Freight ways!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by ABRO Transport, Apr 3, 2018.

1. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    I’m surprised companies are still teaching drivers how to read a map. I was thought how to when I started 20 years ago. I picked it up fairly easy. The hard part prior to GPS is calling the customer via phone booth to get directions to where you we’re delivering or picking up from. If a woman answered you automatically asked for someone else. For some reason this job seemed easier back then

ABRO Transport and Western flyer Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    P.S. I’m enjoying your thread. Your doing a good job. It brings back lots of memories

ABRO Transport Thanks this.
  4. ABRO Transport

ABRO Transport Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    I know Eastern is but not sure about others. I haven't really had to read a detailed map since I sold Kirby's back in 95' I didn't even think about having to use payphones. It's rare to actually see one still working nowadays. I think life in general was easier 20 years ago. I'm in my mid 40's now starting another career in a different industry.

skinnytrucker Thanks this.
  5. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Thank you @skinnytrucker much appreciated!

6. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Day 12

Coming to the end of our 3rd week and I believe only there are only a few things left to do here. Pre-trip and then back on the road today to do some more driving. Not picking anything up today but we are getting some more time under our belts. We took turns driving a route consisting of state roads and highway until lunch.

After lunch we went to the yard to work on some tight rights. Kept narrowing the cones until it was at tight as possible. We had some trouble with the power steering. It would randomly stop working then work again. Anyone ever had that happen? Power steering over heating?

Well that kind of put an end to that. Still no word on our road trainers. Hopefully tomorrow..

By the time we got everything picked up and put back it was time to finish off our log books and head out for dinner. We decided on Golden Coral in Middletown! I would not recommend going here. $19 for dinner and a soda and the selection was smaller than others I've been to and the food was not good at all. Just the opinions of the 4 of us HaHa.

7. LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    You can turn all the way but on the automatics it will cut the power, I think to protect the truck or something. I'm on an automatic Volvo and it does the same thing, just tone it back 10-15 degrees on the wheel after you hit the limit.

Go visit the flaming grill and buffet by Newburgh mall. For less money it's lobster claws, sushi and hibachi.

ABRO Transport Thanks this.
  8. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    @LeadFarmer Gotcha. Yea it was fine today. I was like, what the hell... HaHa
    We went to the Flaming Grill and Buffet last week I think it was. It was good and definitely worth the money! Highly recommend a visit to anyone that hasn't been there before.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Day 13

Today was mainly a road day. Up, down, over, stop for a 30 min break and got some coffee, up again, over, stop, go. You get the picture. You definitely learn something new every time you drive and you gain a little bit of confidence each time.

We learned who our trainers would be today. It was Good and bad news for me. No trainers were available from our Concord, NH terminal so I was set up with A guy from Springfield, MA. A little more of a drive for me to head out each week but worth it. I'm awaiting his call or text in the next day or so and will find out when we are heading out. I'm hoping to be able to keep the daily postings about the next 3 weeks of on the road training while I'm out there.

Last day here in Montgomery tomorrow so I'm pre-packing to be able to check out in the morning!

10. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Day 14

The end to 3 long but good weeks of orientation/training at the Montgomery, NY terminal. We had to check out this morning for our last time. Started our day finishing up reviewing one of the informational booklets and then on to the final test... It basically consisted of everything that we had covered over the last 3 weeks.

Don went over several things about the remainder of our training. What to expect, some things to bring and then basically the same for when we get our own trucks.

We received our last paper checks today. The first 2 weeks are paper checks until Direct Deposit goes through and our ESF checks for our travel and food. We are awaiting our trainers to call us and at that point we will know what day and time we are heading out for the week.

All in All the 3 weeks were good and informative. A few things I think could be reworked and adjusted and shorten the process to 2 weeks. Cutting this short to enjoy some hometime with the family before I head out.

skinnytrucker Thanks this.
  11. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Day 1-2 of OTR (On The Road) Training

My trainer contacted me Saturday. He let me know that we were going to meet in Sturbridge, MA @ 6am Monday morning. I debated getting a hotel due to the 2 3/4 hour ride but decided that it wouldn't be that bad. Pffft. What do I know! Up at 2:30am out the door by 3am. Nice easy drive down unless you want breakfast at 4am. Met up with my Trainer Noel and proceeded to load my 4 days worth of stuff into his truck. I've got to learn to pack lighter. 1 Duffel bag, I computer bag, 1 day bag, Pillow, sleeping bag, boots and all my PPE. It's a little different for a newbie because you don't want to invade someone elses space.

We reviewed a few things and proceeded to pre-trip the truck and trailer. Finished that and went over a few more things like the current BOL and our trip for the day and that he'd drive most of the day loaded but as soon as we were empty it was my turn. Basically evaluating how I did driving. Baltimore rush hour it is! Headed out for Western Maryland. I84 to I81. Hills and curves and more hills! Got to the shipper at 3pm and the guard informed us that receiving closed at 2:30pm. Call dispatch and routed the load to Baltimore. Drop that load and pick up an empty and headed to Carlisle, PA. Get to the shipper and no one there. Search for our load but nothing. Almost out of time for the day so we park it for the night.

Got to the receiver today at 7am. Live load, which was quick. Builder Felt I believe it was. Learned how to strap it and tarp it. First loaded drive for me. Headed out to Maryland again. We had 2 stops about 60 miles from each other. Very tight at the receivers. Not sure who designed these places but they were not made for trucks LOL. Last stop done and off to Baltimore to do a drop and hook. This load is headed for Cranston, R.I. We headed out of Baltimore with the plan to make it as far as we could before we ran out of time. Made it to Stamford, CT. Here for the night and headed to R.I. at 6:30am

Definitely tired. Physically and Mentally. I've done 10-12 hours a day before in my previous career but driving with some of these 4 wheelers is exhausting and getting used to shifting this Freight liner is a little different.

SOAthor and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.