Orientation

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by travrich87, Jun 25, 2015.

1. travrich87

travrich87 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Roanoke, Va
    Hey people, I will be attending Averitt's orientation on June 29th... I just wonder if there is anyone that has tips for me, or anyone that recently went through it and would like to share their experiences, or just anyone that would like to share info for a newbie to the company...THANKS

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you. Hope you can update us as you progress.

4. mike97f350

mike97f350 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Goodview, VA
    I just attended orientation last week. Headed out with my trainer on Monday. I am not going to re-write everything that is already on here. Search this site read Nukem and Zephex's threads on orientation they are spot on. The only thing new is they started supplying box dinners (Subway 6 in sub, chips, and cookie) in the evenings. So you are fed breakfast at the hotel, lunch is catered and dinners is there for you take back to the hotel. My orientation class was about 50 mix of drivers, management, mechanics, etc. We were done most days by 330-400.

Nukem Thanks this.
  5. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Congrats. There are a few of us who wrote about our time at orientation. Just read up on it, and you'll be fine. Most of it's pretty basic stuff, but once you have the package from Averitt, just read it carefully and follow what they say.

6. travrich87

Jun 5, 2015
    Roanoke, Va
    Not sure if anyone cares but, I did get hired on with Averitt out of the Roanoke, Va service center.....

Orientation was pretty cool and a refreshing one seeing as how I have been with a few companies and never have I met the Owner, My Fleet Manager, and My Recruiter in person during orientation.. they did provide food for breakfast and lunch and also have started giving out box dinners for dinner (subway subs, chips and cookie)

Also have my 1st week in the books, my truck was clean inside and out when I got to it, just need my own TLC and wipe down... pretty good miles for my 1st week around 2500.. (in my eyes that's pretty good) the service centers that I went thru this week were actually pretty nice clean and showers were clean, employees and shop guys were respectful didn't talk down to you since your new to company, I had to ask a few guys for help this week with my macros and just different operations around the service centers and they treated me like I have been there for years..

I really have nothing bad to say about this company yet and truly hope I never do. I like it here!!!! Hope this post helps anyone wondering about this company....

7. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    about time you replied... ;) :p

Now you understand why so many people stick around for years with Averitt. But I will say this, don't expect 2500 every week. Some weeks are better than others. Glad to hear that your truck was clean when you got in it. My first was trashed and they paid me for 2 hours so I could clean it. LOL

8. travrich87

Jun 5, 2015
    Roanoke, Va

Yeah i know it took me a while to post but I just wanted to get thru with everything so I could post with a kind of detailed post.... how's things going for you??

9. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Going very well... Back in my comfort zone so-to-speak. A volvo is just to small and cramped for my liking. LOL
    Now if I could only get a good run out to California... ;)

10. travrich87

Jun 5, 2015
    Roanoke, Va
    Yeah I'm in a freightliner so I have some room... I just hope my truck starts Monday when I get ready to head out.. I had Tifton look at it on Fri and they said my starter is going bad, I had to keep it idling all night Thru, Fri and Sat til I got to my home srv center... but as I'm sure you know, Roanoke doesn't have a shop or fuel, or showers, or scales.. lol pretty much a drop yard with docks.. so hopefully it will start and I can get back to Tifton or Nashville or anywhere with a shop that can fix it for me

11. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    If it doesn't, send breakdown and hope for the best. I just hope that your not under a load that needs to deliver first thing in the AM.

I'm surprised TIF didn't fix it right then and there... Qualcomm your FM and tell him/her what's going on and you need to be routed to a decent shop to get it looked at. Some of the better shops I have been to:

KNX (although lately days has been very slow), CKV, CHA (both days and nights), CIN, CLT (nights) BHM is pretty good on both sides, HOU is also good, just on the slow side. LEX to me is the best shop both days and nights. But if your FM is on the decent side they should know the shops reputation as well as the drivers. ;)

So if you can get to one of them you might stand a better chance of getting out of there at a decent time. Usually if it's a small fix, I try to do it while I'm down for my 10, so this way it gets me in a little earlier (IMO)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.