OTR+Cats

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Marky84, Apr 1, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had a cat not too long ago It had degenerative issues so it was eventually put down. To be fair, I did it.

Once in a life time there is one pet that for a while, a few years display absolute perfection in very particular ways in our home. And that was the one who did not get to live the normal 10 years or so.

Because of that It will be a while before I Try to adopt another. And fear that if I did, I will be cursed with a lfie time of crappy cats.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I hear you loud and clear. Growing up in a rural area we had a series of cats to control the rodent population. Some were great in every respect. But there was one cat that was great right up until it got sick for a spell. Not sure what kind of sickness, but it must have caused a rewiring of its brain. After that it could be sleeping peacefully in a spot of sun through the window across the room from you, then without warning it would fly across the room and attack you, drawing blood, then climb a curtain to the ceiling and howl. We never put that one down, because it was such a good mouser, but it's days as a house cat were over. I would NEVER want that cat in a cab with me.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It gets worse.

We had a pair that was abandoned in the girls dorm doorway during a tornado emergency at 1 am, we had to go and scoop them things up and ship em to the vet to get cleaned up. They became insperatable.

In a couple years one weighed 32 and the othe 31. Food costs each month approached 40, litter costs approached twice that. We asked the vet to worry over those things for obesity and we were told they were not fat fat, but fit and plump for the size and wieght. Neutering them slowed them and mellowed them a little bit.

It was not long before I stared displaying illnesses plural and we had to adopt them out. It was a kill shelter and the second to last day, they called to tell us good news, They found a farm to live out the days together roaming the barns and such.

O\ Happy Day.

Diggler Thanks this.
  5. Diggler

Diggler Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Jax
    I would highly recommend Smart Paws for that situation. They are tiny plastic covers that go on the cats claws and a dab of glue holds them in place for 30-60 days. My cat has no desire whatsoever to claw anything in the truck and I couldn't be happier. A vet recommended them to me and while I didn't need a note with my company they can easily supply you with one.

Metallica88 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Likewise I wont do that to a house cat. We take the damages cheerfully. Im deaf and require the cat to use the claws when it knows Im not hearing it's meowing at my feet when Im busy. So it sticks a claw in my leg specifically to get my attention to solve a problem like a water dish empty. Good cat.

The idea of ready paws make me very happy, that there are new options now. In the past they just shred the cab inside picking at those little buttons between all those diamond interior work.

RockinChair, Big Trucker G and Diggler Thank this.
  7. Diggler

Diggler Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Jax
    20150920_160049.jpg
    Here is what they look like, it completely takes away his natural urge to bite his claws and claw stuff

8. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    That's always my biggest fear is my cat getting out of the truck. I thought about maybe a decent size chain and harness in truck for entering and exiting the truck.

9. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Do they allow a cat too ride?

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are harnesses that cats will accept that fronts the chest plate and over the shoulders and around the front legs without hurting them. If you were to pull on it just slightly, the front paws lose traction and they are not really going anywhere. They learn pretty quick.

I had a truck cat learn how to roll the window down at 70+ in the KW T2000 from my lap Now Im not supposed to keep a cat warm in the lap but with all that sunshine and 300 miles of flat good quality blacktop, it really gets it's sleep in. Then opens the window and leans out.

It breaks my heart when the dumb thing constantly does that. I had to remove the physical buttons and pull fuse for that window. If it did get out, it's already dead pending impact or mash under the wheels.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I don't really know

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.