OTR drivers: practical issues for getting around in a bobtail

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by js63, Oct 10, 2018.

1. js63

js63 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Colorado
    Hey truckers,

I was trying to imagine how I might take advantage of, say, a 34 hour reset or layover if I was out on the road. Suppose I drop a trailer and really want to visit a nearby town. Find a nice (non-truckstop!) restaurant, maybe stay with a friend or in an AirBnB. Cruise around and find a cool coffee shop to hang out in. Go to a museum or park or beach, etc. Sounds like OTR driving would be a great chance to do this, except for having that (still fairly huge) bobtail to deal with.

1) Are there restrictions on what streets you can drive on? Does this limit ypour possibilities?

2) Is there a reasonably cheap (safe, legal) way to park for a night or two other than a truck stop? I think the Walmart thing is a no-go these days.

3) Would a mega carrier even let a rookie driver take the tractor out for a day or two? Is that covered by insurance?

Basically I'm wondering just how much you can really "see the country" while driving around the country. What kind of cool ways do you have to get away from the familiar world of truckstops and gigantic parking lots?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. js63

js63 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Colorado
    Yeah, I thought about the first two! Do many truckers use Uber to get to/from terminals/truck stops ? I haven't used it much, but it seems like that would eat up $$$ if the place you want to go isn't close by.

I saw somewhere a foldable electric bike for about $1000. Had something like a 30 mile range, charged by USB. Something like that would open up a lot of possibilities.

Just now, I also was thinking something like renting a car (Enterprise?) and going for a camping trip would be great in warm weather if you had the basics (tent, sleeping bag, ...) Not high on comfort, but I imagine the sceneray and a really quiet night's sleep would be a treat.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I bobtailed plenty. Some companies have restrictions I learned when I was in Nashville and KLLM drivers were buying and installing mudflaps so they could bobtail.
    I frequently slept right where I parked,,usually a "entertainment district"
    Google places to see,, whenever I had a few hours I'd go to any auto related museums, something anything to get out of the truck.

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Company gives me 25 PC miles a day.
    I bobtail anywhere and everywhere.

IndianaF150 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In my time I bobtailed all over we were on paper in those days, no computer anything until the late 90's

Its a joy to fit a bobtail inside a store parking lot space with a inch around the wheels inside the lines between cars. A stunt really.

I don't give it a second thought as long the trailer is signed in at the fuel desk and kingpin is locked etc. Personal conveyance for the rest. That did not count against HOS.

Once in a great while when visiting home ground, we will have enterprise deliver a rental to the truckstop and we take off and roam all over. Since we are allowed to go anywhere east of the Mississippi River for 4 days that's not a issue.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Most co’.s wont let you. I rent cars if i’m on a layover.

Keep in mind its not safe to bobtail. Your brakes dont operate as well and if its snowing, you might as well just shoot yourself, that way nobody else dies.

8. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    It’s up to the company you drive for.
    You can get pretty much anywhere just obey the “no trucks” signs.
    Many shopping centers have security that won’t let you park overnight. You can always park on the street. Just keep in mind that some cities have no overnight truck parking laws.

9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

1.) yes, there are still clearance limits, weight limits and no truck streets. Other than that you should be fine. BTW a bobtail still weighs I think 9-10 tons. So no wooden bridges.

2.) lots of places. Also it's easier to hide a bobtail. The hard thing is getting rid of the trailer. I'd rather you not leave it at a truckstop, thinking about the driver that's gonna need that space, but I've had shippers/receivers who would let me leave a trailer with them ("we'll unload it in the morning") overnight.

3.) here's the real problem with all of this. Most likely no. Liability, fuel costs, joyriding. All are really hard to sneak past a safety department. Once or twice I've been caught "joyriding" with a mega and I told them I was going "food shopping", which they were okay with. This was before eLogs and the tracking system they used was so glitchy it only updated 3 times an hour. Modern systems know you're moving by the minute. So I would get everything really clear with your employer as to what's allowed and what's not.

My current employer is much less informal.

10. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    ... and after bobtailing all day, do you park at a truck stop in a full size truck spot?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.