OTR Earnings

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Mar 31, 2023.

1. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Just so you know, theres a bunch of variables to consider, if youre doing drop and hook vs live load/unload it will make a huge difference.

Theres also lots of things in the hours of service provisions that even experienced truckers dont correctly understand. Im in CDL school right now, but ive got experience dealing with technical documents, building code etc. The instructor has told us a couple things wrong so far that its not my place to educate him on, so whatever. He doesnt see the benefits to running split sleeper or how the adverse driving provision is used, those 2 alone will make a big difference to how you manage your hours. Yes, im a newbie, but i can already tell how you manage your clocks will make a huge difference to your earnings as a CPM driver.

Labrador Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    I don't know for sure NH Guy. I am sadly going through a divorce, am pretty devastated. I would like to meet somebody again after the divorce have a companion to spend my life with. Would also like to have a dog, somehow. I am trying to figure out a way to make money, yet have time for a dog, be able to work out at the gym and have time to spend on dating. I can't imagine dating after being married 22 years. So, I don't have the answers right now. I would like to make as much money as possible, but be realistic in terms of trying to preserve some things in my life that I would have to give up driving OTR.

4. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
    Maybe getting out OTR for a year or two, running hard and banking the cash will be good to help you clear your head before you really try the dating thing. Maybe you could try tinder or something similar, lots of women will actually find a working type guy attractive, just not the stereotypical slob.

You can absolutely have a dog and bring him along with you, but that depends on the company.

The gym will be iffy, you might find something like planet fitness that you can go to different locations nationwide but it might be a hastle fitting it into your day. Many suggest doing some exercises with resistance bands etc that you can do in the truck.

You really need to choose between hometime and pumping that paycheck, any home time will be unpaid. You will make more money the longer you stay out.

5. Labrador

May 31, 2018
    That is what I am thinking, just run OTR as hard as I can for a year or more then try to get something with more home time. I am used to Labrador Retrievers for dogs, I don't know if OTR will be an ideal life for them so I might consider a smaller dog. FInding someone to spend my life with is a high priority, something I have to figure out. So far I have about 9 months of experience driving a Class B (cement mixer truck). Hopefully they count this experience at least somewhat towards a Class A vehicle. I have learned to use the mirrors and am floating gears without any problems now.

6. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
    Definitely smaller dog, see if any of the shelters have any friendly calm 2-3 year old dogs, definitely one thats house broken. Puppy isnt going to be a good idea on the road.

7. Labrador

May 31, 2018
    That sounds like a good plan. Jack Russel or any house broken breed(s) that size would be good.

8. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
    Jack russel are known for being high energy, that might be a bit much in a truck all day.

Labrador Thanks this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Split might, adverse driving not so much.

And with the split you really need to consider the fatigue factor. It takes a toll, especially if you use it very much.
    Burning the candle at both ends uses up the candle pretty quickly.

Labrador Thanks this.
  10. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
    Split sleeper can come in handy when it takes 2 hours or more to load/unload, you arent burning your clocks if you log off duty/sleeper.

Labrador Thanks this.
  11. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    Yup, often accessory pay makes all the difference. People mention the good pay at Walmart, and it's because of that. My wife and I team, and we got about $14k each last year in accessory pay.

Labrador Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.